Author Topic: need help on sights  (Read 4015 times)

Offline hortonstn

need help on sights
« on: February 28, 2017, 02:29:00 AM »
when shooting a post ft sight (l) what rear sight do you use  an  (u) or a (v)
i'm talking open sights off the bench
thoughts appreciated
paul

Offline smokinbuck

Re: need help on sights
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 02:33:18 AM »
If you are using a straight post front,  I'd go with the "U" shaped rear.  It will  allow you to establish a top to top elevation and light on each side of the Blade for Windage.
Mark
Mark

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
Square

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:24 PM »
Generous VEE for my old eyes :).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
Anymore, with my old eyes,  I use a wide post, maybe 0.080", for the front.  The rear sight is ahead of the balance point of the rifle.  Being foreward helps to keep it less blurry.  The rear is a slot.  I make the slot with parallel sides.  It is wide enought to let a sliver of light by on either side of the front sight.   That is a cut and try operation for the width. 

When shooting, once I get the rear sight aligned I can then focus on the big old front sight.   The target is a little fuzzy.  No sight, except a pinhole peep, will allow multiple focal distances at once. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
I like a wide V and bead now.  Post or blade front sights have multiple tops and V notches or U notches are fuzzy all over. Hard to tell where the tops or sides are as they are all fuzzy.

The wide, open V (express-sight) gives better light and this helps greatly. The bead front sight nestles in the bottom of the V, and even though a bit fuzzy- the ball hits in the middle, so the sight's edges are not important- put the fuzzy bead on the target and you hit.

Some guys use a buckhorn as an aperture - Taylor's .62 Hawken was like this.

You can also use a really wide U notch as an aperture - seems to me, some chunk sights are like this, but do not have any tightening of the sides as per the rules.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:49:03 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »
After cataract surgery I again use square or rectangle. Before the surgery i used a shotgun sight.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »
I only had my cataracts removed recently and haven't had a chance to shoot.  I got a pair of #150 reading glasses for shooting and a pair of #250 for reading.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Daryl, on the shallow V type, is the rear sight still scooped out to have a thin wall on the front face?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »
Daryl, on the shallow V type, is the rear sight still scooped out to have a thin wall on the front face?

Sure is - on the standing sight of a multileaf Express sight. The leaves are thin enough to not need scooping out.  With a fixed wide V, then the material needs to be thinned at the V, to eliminate glare, the same as any rear blade sight.
Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:31 AM »
Not PC most likely, but I like my sight picture to be a square post in a square notch with enough light to see the alignment on either side of the front blade.  I also prefer the top of the sight to be flat.  Many years spent target shooting with handguns led to this preference.  With round top front blades and buckhorn rear sights I get too much vertical dispersion.  Easier for me to keep the top of the flattop front blade even with the top of the flattop rear.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »
I only had my cataracts removed recently and haven't had a chance to shoot.  I got a pair of #150 reading glasses for shooting and a pair of #250 for reading.

When ophthalmologist asked if I wanted the new lens to be for close or far I extended my right arm thumb up and said from there out as far as possible. Sights are good and target a little blurry. I have 1.5 cheater readers on a string around my neck.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »
Not PC most likely, but I like my sight picture to be a square post in a square notch with enough light to see the alignment on either side of the front blade.  I also prefer the top of the sight to be flat.  Many years spent target shooting with handguns led to this preference.  With round top front blades and buckhorn rear sights I get too much vertical dispersion.  Easier for me to keep the top of the flattop front blade even with the top of the flattop rear.  Just my 2 cents worth.  Best wishes,   Marc

Worked for me, too, Marc - up until about 15 years ago.
Daryl

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 05:11:53 AM »
  I am very lucky. At 66 I can still see sights very well. Buckhorn,V or otherwise. Still can't hit anything but I can see the sights. Seriously Marc I like the same set-up. Same reason to much time with the handgun also.....Mike

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
Good morning brother Daryl.  I hear you on the eyesight. Mine isn't super either (I miss that part of being 20 years old).  I just use reading glasses from the Walmart that let me focus on the front sight, leaving the target a little fuzzy.  Ed put my rear sight far enough forward that it works for me.  I am fortunate that I don't have worse eye problems.  The motto is, "Do what it takes to keep shooting and don't give up!"   :-)   Best wishes,  Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 05:29:48 AM »
A while back, there was a thread, maybe in over the back fence about using readers for helping shooting.  A link was posted so I ordered 3 pair glasses, @ $24.99 ea pair).  2 of them, at .5 and .25 diopter, were called reading glasses.  The third were called computer glasses so I ordered .25 diopter.  I attempted to get them locally, but none of the stores which sold readers could order in anything lighter than 1.0 dipoter, which were too blurry on the target.

I've been experimenting with the .25 and .5 dipoter glasses.  The .5's make the sights slightly sharper than the .25's, but the target is slightly more fuzzy with the .5's, of course, than the .25's.  It's a trade off, and I sooner or later through testing, I will decide which is better - for me.
Daryl

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
hanshi; I only had my cataracts removed recently and haven't had a chance to shoot.  I got a pair of #150 reading glasses for shooting and a pair of #250 for reading.

you dunno how scary that is until you've had cataracts.  Turned me from a match winner into a disabled Vet so much so that, when I had 'em corrected it produced a striking difference.   It's a good thing that there is so much in retirement to compensate for losing youth.

Ssssoooo.... put this in your barrel and pull the trigger; one man's meat is another man's poison.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
I like square, with the rear notch widened so I have equal amount of light on both sides. Helps old eyes!
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana