Author Topic: Loading smoothbore flintlocks from the pouch  (Read 13720 times)

Offline sonny

Re: Loading smoothbore flintlocks from the pouch
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »
firelock, I live near wilkes barre

Offline Daryl

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2017, 03:59:54 AM »
I'm happy to hear how others load. I'm always learning.

I used to load like that when I used 19th century wadding. I'd send an over powder and cushion wad, shot and over shot card down in one stroke, but, when I switched to documented 18th century shot loads using over powder wads of cut paper or thin felt I was concerned that the wadding would turn on the way down, allowing shot to spill past the wad, onto the powder, so now I seat wads first, then load with shot and top with cut paper, and it just carried over to tow wadded balls. But, I'll admit that I could send the tow/ball/tow column down in one stroke.

And, not to defend myself, but...on the subject of bag and horn strap length...I have used high bags and horns. The problem for me is that the angle of the straps  presses on my throat and triggers my gag reflex, which is why they hang lower. I don't enjoy puking while I'm shooting.

Of course, 18th century frontiersmen weren't big fat guys like me. So that wasn't an issue for them.

Thanks for all the comments.

Mike - with the cut paper, if I might make a suggestion, using the small end of your rod, might more likely prevent the cut-paper from turning., as the small end should be pushing down in the centre of the paper where you sort-of creased it when you pushed it into the bore with your finger.   Might try it to find out - pro or con, I can visualize it going either way.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline little joe

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
Some of you guys are digging in  Mikes behind pretty deep but as I reread this  I keep seeing  short starters and loading blocks mentioned. How much documentation can you back these items up with?

You should be able to look up the use of short starters, or ball starting pegs right here - maybe in the archives. We've covered that a number of times.
  I guess I,m too stupid to navigate the archives but I have tried and can not come up with anything. Help me out guys.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2017, 04:59:10 AM »
I don't remember what the thread was called, but seems to me, it comes up about once a year.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

n stephenson

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
Firelock, I applaud your enthusiasm and the drive and determination it takes to put yourself out there. I don`t  think that everybody should jump on Hungry Horse for voicing his opinion if I remember correctly Firelock asked for feedback . When I got started back in the early 80s I was fortunate enough to be mentored by Ron Ehlert  for those of you who knew Ron I was never handled with kid gloves. It was this is how you do it period.I wish everybody had this baby the newcomer attitude when I started , believe me most of the guys weren't bending over backwards to help most of them probably didn't want me around . Over the years with more research coming to light and a bunch of hunting and shooting I keep downsizing what I carry. Look at the size of actual surviving shooting pouches , they didn't carry a ton of $#@*. I support any and all shooting sports that people want to do but, for myself carrying a rifle around that needs a huge support system is just not my thing. When I first started shooting with the club I shoot with , a lot of the men were dumdfounded when I showed up with nothing but my pouch , horn and rifle I do have a loading rod that I use when I`m done , for cleaning. I used to use a short starter years ago but, I don`t now for two reasons number one is I don`t shoot super tight ball/patch combos I get good results without it and number two I don`t want to short start a ball right to  waist of my swamped barrel and get sidetracked and forget to send her home . This way when the ramrod comes out the ball goes home. I know I`m not an expert and don`t claim to be but, I do know that over the years I continue to make things simpler and, I enjoy it more all the time.  If you use a short starter great if it works for you , if you use a patch ball combo that requires a sledge hammer to start fine you, don`t have to defend it . If you have a hunting pouch big enough to sleep in with 12 foot straps great. That`s the beauty of this sport you can do whatever you want ,if you do it long enough you`ll find out what works for you.

Offline little joe

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2017, 10:36:21 PM »
I.m old order and find Hungry Horses reply,s as abrasive as corn cobs in the crapper. He knows his shooting and ect. just does not put things in words very well.