Author Topic: Help, old flintlock  (Read 4491 times)

francois3941

Help, old flintlock
« on: March 01, 2017, 02:01:43 AM »
Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for information about this flintlock.
Look like French made but I don't know .Any info you can give me will be Greatly Appreciated.
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/franceetfrancoisfancoisvstar/slideshow/flintlock

Offline 490roundball

Re: Help, old flintlock
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 02:49:51 AM »
picture 2 looks very much like the remnant of a British proof mark  a V under a crown

the stock has a French look about it

could it have come out of New England?  lots of French Canada influence but British parts available
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Molly

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 03:12:45 AM »
Agree.  An apparent proof mark, trigger, guard and nose cap with military blood lines.

francois3941

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:24:51 AM »
it's possible because I bought it in Quebec  near the border line (Vermont)

boman

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 04:08:53 AM »
A lot of french trade gun characteristics---triggerguard,sideplate, shape of the lock and stock.

Steve

longrifle

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:34:50 AM »
Very nice old gun.

Big Wolf

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
Looks like it could be an American period restock using older parts. Very nice gun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
Canadian or New England restock of mostly  a French Fusil de Chasse. The lock has been converted from percussion to flint using the wrong parts, needs to be done correctly. Looks like a possible English barrel. Nice gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

francois3941

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:29:22 AM »
Thanks all for reply ... I don't understand converted from percussion to flintlock ???

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:35:54 AM »
Thanks all for reply ... I don't understand converted from percussion to flintlock ???

Most flintlocks still in working condition were converted to percussion when that ignition system was well established. Then many guns now percussion but deemed collectable were re-converted to flintlock but often it's hard to re create the original appearance of when it was a flintlock because of lack of availability of correct parts or lack of knowledge.
Andover, Vermont

Offline perce

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:25 AM »
Hello francois and congratulations on a great find.  You have a French M1728 musket, basically.  All is as issued except the buttplate (not shown), lockplate, frizzen, frizzen spring, pan, rear swivel, and middle band(missing), to which the top swivel was attached.  Contemporary restocking in maple,
probably by an American maker, which could date the work as late as  Rev. War.  Hard to date the lock work without examination, but as it is not
the original M1728 lockplate, the exterior components could in fact be original to the present plate.  Condition appears better than average for this
type piece, you found it at a great location, and overall is a desirable gun and would be a welcome addition to a F&I or Rev. War collection. 

francois3941

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
Thanks All for reply and for information , some new pics here.
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/franceetfrancoisfancoisvstar/slideshow/flintlock%202

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
After seeing the buttplate pics, I'm on board with the M1728 infantry musket parts, mystery lock in an old restock. Front band has a square hole for the retaining spring, which I remember reading later changed to a round hole in later models. Cool gun.
Greg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
Yep,  mostly a restocked 1728 for sure, forget what I said before. The lock threw me off.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?