Author Topic: Ordered a northwest trade gun kit! Help will be needed  (Read 5993 times)

Kirrmeister

Ordered a northwest trade gun kit! Help will be needed
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:04:29 PM »
Hello from Germany!

Ordered my first kit gun today and hope to get it soon.

When having it and starting many questions will come up!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
Re: Ordered a northwest trade gun kit! Help will be needed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »
Congratulations on your kit, and you came to the right place for help. Lots of very helpful people here who can provide you with advice if you have questions.  Good luck with the rifle, and post some pictures as you go along so we can see how it's progressing.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

northmn

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 05:27:18 PM »
Hopefully I can be of assistance.  NWT are about the primary originals I see in this neck of the woods.  What NW gun does it follow?  The most common and popular in the kit form is the Barnett, but I have seen a few earlier Wheelers.  They are a fairly simple kit to assemble.  Good luck on your purchase.

DP

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »
Who made the kit?

Offline LynnC

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
Find Mike Brooks web site - the part about building a Carolina gun.  Similar construction details especially the butt plate.  Fowlingguns.com or close to that.  Mike is a member here.  Lot of good info there...................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:34 PM »
Kirrmeister,
Glad to hear you're taking the plunge.  Best of luck with your first build!  Don't be shy about questions.  This bunch is glad to help.  I haven't seen them stumped yet.

I'm curious;  how do you get interested in NW trade guns in Germany?

Just wondering,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Kirrmeister

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:37 PM »
Kirrmeister,
Glad to hear you're taking the plunge.  Best of luck with your first build!  Don't be shy about questions.  This bunch is glad to help.  I haven't seen them stumped yet.

I'm curious;  how do you get interested in NW trade guns in Germany?

Just wondering,
Jeff

First thanks to all replyers for the help offer. The kit is from North Star West.
I choosed it becausr i'm very interested in the 18th century era history, especially F&I War and Rev. War. i'm member of the 14. Albany County Militia here in Germany and I'm working hard to establish trad. ML hunting here in Germany. Until know I posses and use already a eastern tenn. poorboy flinter .54 built by Roy Strohfrom a TVM kit. And I likemthe rifle. All is so well done. The lock ignits nearly as fast  as a capper and the accurracy is like $#*!.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:08:02 PM »
Kirrmeister,

That's interesting.  I knew there was interest in American longrifles over there, (Jim Chambers has a number of customers I know of in Germany).  But I didn't know that there were any such reenactor groups over there.

Keep us informed of the progress!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

northmn

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:35:37 PM »
Just a FYI.  In my area the NWTG did not get traded with the Objibwe until about the Revolutionary war or sometime before.  The French controlled the area until after the F&I war.  We even have the remains of a French Trading Post from about 1750 in MN.

DP

Kirrmeister

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
Kirrmeister,

That's interesting.  I knew there was interest in American longrifles over there, (Jim Chambers has a number of customers I know of in Germany).  But I didn't know that there were any such reenactor groups over there.

Keep us informed of the progress!

Jeff

Our group is relatively big, about 30-40 men and women. We reenact the complete life of german Mohawkvalley settlers during the Rev.War. Here in Germany every year starts the biggest 18. century reenactment. It is the "time journey into the 18th century" at th palace of Eichenzell  near Fulda/Hessia. There recruiting scenes of hessian mercenaries for the British troops of Rev War are shown, camp live, battles, parades, etc. about 300 renactors take part and 2000 spectators.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:02:04 PM »
I'm from the Mohawk Valley just east of "German flats".  My mother is from Herkimer, etc.  Interesting that we've made this connection.  If you go to www.frontierfolk.com, there are a lot of re-enactors who know a lot about the Valley and its history, the types of guns in use there, etc.
Andover, Vermont

Leatherbelly

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 03:31:42 AM »
 Kirr,
 Have you looked at Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler kit? This gun was originally made pre-rev war(1750-1760). I believe and stand to be corrected, that they were originally made by John Newcomer. May fit your persona better. It is a true Fowler,not a trade gun. Here's the site.  http://www.flintlocks.com