Author Topic: Flintlock nomenclature  (Read 3990 times)

g2608671@verizon.net

Flintlock nomenclature
« on: March 03, 2017, 04:24:33 PM »
Reading a string of posts on the reworking of a lock it suddenly hit me that I am lacking in my understanding of the names (nomenclature) of flintlocks.  For example - stirrup, I have no idea what this is.  So can someone vector me to a resource that I can use to sharpen my knowledge of flintlock parts down to the finest points of reference? I have been shooting flinters for a number of years, have owned several, and am truly embarrassed by this but if I don't ask - then I will never know.  :-[

Offline mark esterly

living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Flintlock nomenclature
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
  Polekat. Jim Chamber's has a two page paper on tuning a flintlock also. Lists all the parts an the fine point's of improving your lock. Hope this helps...... Oldtravler

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:15:29 PM »
There is an old book by Thomas Sawyer on early firearms.  In that book he shows an original picture of a French flint lock illustrating all its various nomenclature.  There have to be at least 50 different names given to different parts of the lock.  I can't put my hand on the book right now, but if I find it, I'll post the picture.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:58:36 PM »
Great information here folks and I truly appreciate the replies.  Now when I hear the terms stirrup and bridle I won't be looking around for a horse.   ;)

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »
Yes, get the Chambers info.  I have it and it's great for a beginner and maybe an expert as well.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
I would say the most common error is to call the cock, that thing that holds the flint, a "hammer"

On a flint lock the hammer is that piece of steel that hammers out the sparks. You know it as a frizzen, older term being frizzle. Because of the frizzy little curls of steel scraped off by the flint.

Dave Patterson

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
Yes, get the Chambers info.  I have it and it's great for a beginner and maybe an expert as well.

+2 on the Chambers tuning directions. 

I too am a long-time owner & shooter, and raw beginner at anything resembling 'smithing MLs.  Made a trade for a TC squirrel rifle for The Bride; she wanted it fit, refinished, with lock and triggers tuned.

I referred to Jim Chambers' directions, found in Peter Alexander's book (among many other places), and, found that due to design differences, the TC lock doesn't lend itself to following Mr C's directions step-by-step.

I did happen to have a couple L&R RPL locks on hand for later projects, and as the internals of the RPLs are classic in design, I used them as my "learners".  This enabled me to go back to the original project (the TC), and do as much as I could to help that lock out (which turned out to be, not much).

The only real down-side I've encountered is, as I worked at tuning the "modern/improved" TC lock, I (foolishly?  wisely?) shared my frustrations with its design limitations with The Bride... who promptly decided that if her current rifle had so many limiting design features, what I really needed to be doing was designing and building her a custom rifle, from ground up.

Point being, prior to beginning these projects, I was in your boat, Polekat:  had not a clue which part fit which name.

"Yesterday I could not even spell 'ticher'; today, I are one."  (Jim Garfield)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:41:22 PM by Dave Patterson »

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »

+2 on the Chambers tuning directions. 

I too am a long-time owner & shooter, and raw beginner at anything resembling 'smithing MLs.  Made a trade for a TC squirrel rifle for The Bride; she wanted it fit, refinished, with lock and triggers tuned.

I referred to Jim Chambers' directions, found in Peter Alexander's book (among many other places), and, found that due to design differences, the TC lock doesn't lend itself to following Mr C's directions step-by-step.

I did happen to have a couple L&R RPL locks on hand for later projects, and as the internals of the RPLs are classic in design, I used them as my "learners".  This enabled me to go back to the original project (the TC), and do as much as I could to help that lock out (which turned out to be, not much).

The only real down-side I've encountered is, as I worked at tuning the "modern/improved" TC lock, I (foolishly?  wisely?) shared my frustrations with its design limitations with The Bride... who promptly decided that if her current rifle had so many limiting design features, what I really needed to be doing was designing and building her a custom rifle, from ground up.

Point being, prior to beginning these projects, I was in your boat, Polekat:  had not a clue which part fit which name.

"Yesterday I could not even spell 'ticher'; today, I are one."  (Jim Garfield)

;)  How sweet it is!

Offline Karl K.

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:46:05 AM »

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »
Now this is truly detailed. 

Going to print this out - make some copies without the annotations and then practice writing in the part names until I know this stuff backwards and forwards.

Thanks!