Author Topic: Muzzle Cut Squircle Patches  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Marcruger

Muzzle Cut Squircle Patches
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:09:10 PM »
In the other thread about patch shape, it was mentioned that muzzle-cut patches end up squares anyway. 

Hmmmm.....my patches say different. 

I picked up a few to check, and here's the photo.  Looks like a "squircle" at best.  They look pretty round to me. 

Cut with a patch knife at the muzzle. 

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Daryl

Re: Muzzle Cut Squircle Patches
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:15:24 PM »
They look like they did the job, Mark.  Whether round, or square with rounded corners, much depends on your definition of round. I would not call them round. 

They are rounded, but no 2 are really the same. The patches on the far right and bottom right do have 3 'roughly' straight sides. Perhaps different types or soft/hardness of cloth have different (these look like a canvas) have different folding patterns.  If I can remember I'll do a test using the .50 and some denim when it warms up a bit. I still haven't spent enough 'range time' with that rifle yet.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
I also believe that the sharpness of the patch knife has something to do with the shape.  If a dull knife is pulling and tugging, I'd guess that would account for a different shape.  These represent a knife on a second day of range time after sharpening.  just forgot to touch it up before going out. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »
Yes - knife sharpness makes a big difference, for sure.  I like to keep mine like a straight razor - just a swipe with the blade laying on the muzzle and it's through the patch- don't even have to hold the material up.  Few times, the ball was not flush or slightly depressed and ended up a wad cutter (flat spot).  Those work well for cutting strings and cards, btw- LOL.
Daryl

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »
Okay.  It's safe to admit it now.  I've not gotten the ball seated deep enough before too, and "trimmed a flat spot" on the ball.  Cannot say it made much difference in the ball's flight, but the edge on the knife was not "top flight" if you follow me.  ;-)  The patch knife was more a butter spreader until further sharpening!   Hah.   All in the pursuit of fun.  Marc

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 03:33:35 AM »
Now you gotta get a "squircle" punch made so you can try precuts.  haha
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 04:18:07 PM »
I tried precuts years ago.  WAY too much trouble getting ball/patch centered in the bore. I like cutting at the muzzle w a patch knife made from a straight razor blade. Recover patches look round to me but I haven't done a scientific micro examination, they just work.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »
For accurate shooting I alway cut the patch at the muzzle. Shooting precut patches is just too much trouble getting the ball centered. On more than one occasion I have had to pull a load from my own gun, or someone else's, and found the ball, and patch, misaligned. Even when I use a patch block, I cut the patches, rather than using precut ones.

Hungry Horse

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 01:15:19 AM »
I have always wondered is a slightly or badly mis-centered pre-cut patch makes the ball fly different (as long as the ball has patch between it and the bore)?  No way I know of measuring that. 

One thing I have debunked for myself by watching is the myth that patches somehow fly with the ball somewhere.  When I have been spotting, the patches leave the ball right after the muzzle, pop inside out, and described an unpredictable spiraling arc through the air.....landing all over the place.  Especially if there is wind.  If there is much grass they can be a little stinker to locate. 

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:03 AM »
My observations as well, Mark.  Dependent on the charge and size, they fall closer or further away from the muzzle - WIND has a lot to do with this phenomenon. At our large bore rifle range, we oft times have a tail wind, from 4 o'clock. This sends the patches over the first baffle of rail-way ties, usually.  If the wind drops, they usually fall inside or land on top of the baffle, about 15' in front of the muzzle.
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
The ones I checked and declared Squircles were cut at the loading block, not the bore. 

My first impression of your patches was, "Hey sharpen that patch knife!"  :P  also a slice of lead shouldn't hurt a steel blade of substance, not much substance in hollow-ground razor blades, but there is in the wedge shaped blades.  They're not common (and all antique).

Razors are for shaving I hold.

What is this "baffle" Daryl?  Is that a sound or safety thing? 

Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:57:27 AM »
Requirement from the Provincial Firearms Officer.  The baffle is 7 ties high, and 3 railway ties wide with a tie's width spacing between the 2 stacks.
We are not supposed to shoot standing on this range - only over on the 200 meter range.
The near berm is behind the 50 yard or meter mule deer doe and is 100 meter range, while the one on the left is behind the 200 meter target stands. The 'face' of the far berm, is 224yards from where I an seated at my bench, due to the angle.

Daryl