Author Topic: A Simple Horn/Rattle  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
A Simple Horn/Rattle
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:43:35 PM »
 I saw a Pic of this one someplace, may have been the Blog and liked its simplicity and the flare at the Butt.
 It is about 14 3/4" around the outside curve, 10 1/2" tip-to-tip. The Poplar Butt is about 2 1/2", held in place with Six nails. A Staple is in the neck, on a horn like this the Staple is set to keep the strap in place not to have the strap attached to it. The finish is AF and a heavy coat of Brown Shoe polish lightly buffed with a brush.
 I also put a 50 Cal ball in it, to help loosen up powder if it was to get damp and harden up.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:25:42 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Marcruger

Re: A Simple Horn
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:46:15 PM »
May be simple but I like it.....especially the finish.  Thumb's up.  Best wishes,   Marc

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »
I like it a lot Tim.   It's a nice departure from your normal high end work.  And I'm willing to bet you enjoyed the build. You get to ignore some of the rules of a few of the critics, and put forth a simple honest horn.  Like the finish too...

It looks great!

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
I like it too, especially the color from the aqua fortis.  I'm not a fan of the neon-bright yellow that often comes from dying horn...the more subdued color here looks great to me.  Tim, when applying the AF to the horn, do you just let it dry, or then heat to blush it like you would do to wood?  Also, do you neutralize it with ammonia or baking soda? 
Jerry

Offline smokinbuck

Re: A Simple Horn/Rattle
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
Tim,
REal nice horn. Simple is good.
Mark
Mark

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 04:45:20 AM »
Nice...really nice...
tc..
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »
when applying the AF to the horn, do you just let it dry, or then heat to blush it like you would do to wood?  Also, do you neutralize it with ammonia or baking soda?

I brush it on with a dauber, then heat with a Het Gun, you will see the color start to change. Then while it is still hot put on another coat of AF and let it sit. Usually over Night but sometimes a few hours, Next wash it off with water and a rag, see what you got if it is what you are looking for you are done, if not repeat. To get an idea on how hot, take a piece of scrap, fit it with AF and heat, obviously you do not want it to burn or blister but you will get an idea of how it is done.
 As for neutralizing, I don't do any thing and have never had a problem.

Tim C.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
That is a very attractive, simple, honest horn Tim. I'm sure there were innumerable horns similar to this made and used through the years.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
I like it!  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 01:02:30 AM »
I like it. LOTS. Reminds me of my Steve Herberger southern banded horn
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Manfred

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
Very nice Tim!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:37 AM »
Very nice patina,simple maybe but thats all the better in my book.Sometimes there's a fine line between too much and not enough and keeping things on the simple side has all its own charm

Joe S

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 04:33:23 AM »
El cuerno muy fino, seņor!  Tim, I think that's the best horn I've seen on this site.  I really like the graceful curve, and how you maintained the curve even through the plug.  Plus, you can take it hunting.  The coffee table grade horns are nice to look at and admire the art, but I have no use for them.