Author Topic: Shooting a Lehigh style gun?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

Shooting a Lehigh style gun?
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:08:31 AM »
Curious, never handled one, never shot one.  Thinking about getting a Lehigh style gun ever since I was a kid.

So just wanted some feedback on shooting with that style of gun.  Most of mine have been of a more conservative stock config.  Did have a French fusil smoothie once...great fun to shoot but did have some issues with it.  At any rate...just looking for hands on experiences from you guys.

Thank you

Offline RichG

Re: Shooting a Lehigh style gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 04:28:53 AM »
I built one with a 44" b wht .54 barrel. If I did it again I wouldn't go bigger than .50. It can smack you on the cheek if you're not careful. Any gun with lots of drop will have more perceived recoil than a straighter stock. I find it helps to keep your head upright and bring the gun to your eye and not to lean into the stock. I do love the looks of Lehigh style guns. Check out Neahkahnie flintlocks for some beautiful guns.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:44:05 AM »
Depends on who built the gun, and who they are emulating.  Some don't have a lot of drop.  Once you get used to the different style, you'll love it.  Bucks and Lehighs tend to require a higher grip on the wrist.  Kinda like putting your nose on your thumb......AWESOME!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:11:23 PM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
Dane, you nailed it on the grip!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
Depends on who built the gun, and who they are emulating.  Some don't have a lot of drop.  Once you get used to the different style, you'll love it.  Bucks and Lehighs tend to require a higher grip on the wrist.  Kinda like putting your nose on your thumb......AWESOME!

Thank you all. Knew you guys would know.  This is exactly the "technicals" that I was wanting to know.  The foreknowledge from responders can really help out.  Again, thank you guys for the info.