Author Topic: The Situational WoodsWalk  (Read 9679 times)

Offline T*O*F

The Situational WoodsWalk
« on: March 05, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
The Situational WoodsWalk is a team event, but not always.  A team usually consists of 4 members.  Because of its complexity, it is usually hosted by a club who do not participate, but instead play logistical roles such as timers, guides, or aggressors.  Some large events will be run over 2 days with teams heading out on the trail every half hour.  They are timed to last an hour.  If your team hasn't reached the halfway point on the half hour, your scorer will quickly move you to that point and you will forfeit any score for unengaged targets.

One type of this event is called a Survival Weekend and is usually reserved for the most hardcore reenactors.  Teams check in on Friday eve, receive their instructions, and head into the field where they function as independent patrols in hostile territory until the event ends on Sunday afternoon.  These are often held in winter with whatever weather conditions happen to prevail.  Patrols must cook, sleep and warm themselves while afield.  They often include water crossings or canoe work.

Contrary to most events, the above are designed so that teams or team members are eliminated and no one finishes the event.  Targets or stations are layed out and involve a time penalty.  This penalty might involve losing a piece of your gear or being killed.  The scorer will carry a bag which will contain the penalty incuured.  By random draw, you choose your own fate.  If you lose a piece of gear, you must rely on team members to help you continue.  Thus it might be benefical to have members shooting the same caliber guns, having spare items in your haversack to replace the forfeited item, etc.  If you are killed, your team will plunder your body for whatever they can use, and you will fall back and remain as an observer only.

A typical event will commence with teams registering, at which time they receive the scenario.  For purposes of illustration, let's use this one.  The year is 17XX.  You are a group of woods runners allied with the French.  While crossing the Ohio river, your canoes are swamped and all your food is lost.  You swim to the north shore and must make your way to Fort DesChartres which is a 3 day journey.  You immediatley know that you will have to hunt for food along the trail.  Depending on the exact date given, you must also know who your allies or enemies are, as well as which Indian tribes are friendly or hostile.

When your team is called, you report for inspection.  They go thru your gear and clothing to check for period correctness, not specifically French, but generally looking for anomilies.  Points are deducted for any found.  These usually consist of guys forgetting to take off their wrist watches, having car keys or modern coin in their pockets, or wearing modern long johns or underwear beneath your clothing.

Next, you proceed to a station where your team is asked a set of questions about the specific history of the period.  The questions are asked round robin style, not by whomever knows the answer.  Points are tallied and added to your score sheets.

Next, you are taken to the trail head. to begin.  At this point, in any event, I always ask the question, " Are there any rules other than those given which we must know?"  This prevents having the scorer make up rules should situations occur.  If they haven't thought about it beforehand, then the team cannot be penalized for a perceive infraction.  For instance, if you are not told that all shots are to be fired offhand, then you can use a rested position should it be required.  If they don't specify that it's round ball only, then you can use shot if the target requires it.  You need to use whatever will be to your advantage that they haven't thought of.

At the trailhead, the scenario starts.  You have just swam the Ohio river and everything is wet.  There are a couple of 5 gallons buckets full of water.  You are required to submerge your powder horn in the water for 30 seconds.  A properly prepared horn will have had the base plug sealed inside with beeswax and the plug will be tapered for a watertight fit.  Also, holding the horn spout down will eliminate most water from entering the horn if its not prepared.  You can simulate this with a soda bottle.  If you hold it spout up, the water will rush inside, whereas holding the spout down will create an air block which holds the water out.  Other scenarios might require you to fill your barrel with water, dumping it out, and then proceeding with a wet bore.

As we progress, I will add various instances you might encounter while on the trail and also talk about a small, one or two club event that is not as complicated.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: The Situational WoodsWalk
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
More!  How common are these events?  Where can on find them?
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:26 PM »
Rich,
One of the best is held at Ft. DesChartres around Halloween weekend every year.  I assume they still do it but gave up serious reenacting when I moved to TN.  The club I belonged to down here held one and I believe one was held west of you.  Otherwise, they were held in IL, WI, MI, and IN that I know of.  The AMM holds them periodically too.  I don't do them anymore.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
I love this stuff!  Thanks Dave...looking forward to more.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 10:16:11 PM »
Dave, that's  my neck of the woods. Looks like I need to hone my skills. I have more time open now for such things.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »
Dave, that's  my neck of the woods. Looks like I need to hone my skills. I have more time open now for such things.

Ain't it great to be retired!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
 The events I helped design did have an elapsed time recorded, and used as a tie breaker. Members were asked to draw a bean from a bag if they missed a enemy, or predator, target. A black bean signified death, red was an injury, and white was meant you came through unscathed. Game targets were interspersed with the others, and enough of these targets had to be scored, or your team starved to death. Each team at a shooting station could fire individually, or in volley, to harvest game in a herd realistically. There was a shot, a reload, and another shot, from the middle of a creek crossing in water about waist deep on me ( and I am 6'1") so the short guys, and ladies were in pretty deep. Anything not specifically forbidden was allowed ( within the realm of firearms safety) and many of the written instructions at the different stations, had a couple of inturpitations. The best part of these events is you don't have to have 25, or 30 shot on the trail to make the participants feel like they have had a good time.
 In fact I never heard anyone come back from one of these and say they didn't enjoy it.

Hungry Horse

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »
That's what I tell these guys all the time that are just starting out, join a club and compete. I needed a ten X to win I shot a nine and came in fourth, I remember that shot like it was yesterday. Paper shoots are great I can imagine how great some of these Woods Walks are.

Prior to the Woods Walk do your teams get together and check each others equipment or how you're going to tackle each challenge? 

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM »
These are great!  Can't wait to hear more.

These types of events would be impossible where I'm at, but nevertheless reading about it is very interesting.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 03:12:12 AM »
Before returning to the big events, let's talk about the smaller ones that one or two clubs can host as reciprocal events.  The club I used to belong to did a "lite" version that was based on things that happened in the movie Jeremiah Johnson.  We knew this in advance and you had to answer 5 questions about the movie.  It was about 20 stations.  Each station had a card stapled to a tree explaining the station, and a stake which your foot had to be in contact with while shooting it.  There were knockdowns that could be reset by pulling them upright again with a rope.  Some were multiple targets, but you had to knock one down before shooting the next one and it was timed.  One station had a squirrel hung on a cable.  When tripped, the squirrel slid down the cable.  The shooter was positioned between two saplings which limited his swing so he could only shoot as the squirrel passed between them.  Another had 2 bicycle rims with rope around them and a crank on one.  A balloon was attached to the rope and It was positioned behind the shooter.  When he called pull, the scorer turned the crank sending the balloon down the hill.  This simulated a flying grouse.  Trees and branches obscured the target in several places.

There was a 5 position Seneca run where you loaded at the station.  When time started, you had to run/walk 200 yards across a field to get to the first position.  Most positions had two targets and one had three.  Some of the targets were well concealed and you had to shoot thru brush to hit them.

Of course, a couple of stations had grizz and buffalo targets at longer distances, up and down hill.  They were large knockdowns best shot with a large bore gun and you had to hit them high or they wouldn't go down.

To simulate where Johnson was trying to catch a fish in the stream, there was a horse tank filled with catfish.  You had to catch as many as you could in one minute.

To simulate when he was trying to start a fire and the snow kept falling and putting it out, they built a large tripod and ran a hose with a shower head on it.  You stood inside the tripod and yelled go.  The water was turned on.  You had to pull out your flint and steel and start a fire, evidenced by your bundle bursting into flames.  This was also timed.

At another station, you charged the indians.  You fired at the first target and took off running, throwing your tomahawk at a wood block, and while still running threw your knife at a second wood block.

At a different event, there were 2 double mainspring traps.  You had to set the first trap and then build a fire.  Once it ignited, you sprung the trap and repeated the action on the second one.  Time ceased upon tripping the second trap.

At another station, rubber bands were stretched across a block to form an X.  If you hit it with your hawk and stuck it, you would cut both bands for 5 points.  Cutting one was 3 points, hitting nothing but sticking your hawk was one point.

At the knife throwing event, you threw five times.  Your first throw determined your starting point and each subsequent throw had to stick to the right of your first throw.  Points awarded for proper placement of all five.  Points were deducted for improper placement and non-sticks.

One station had primitive bows made from a sapling and garden string.  You shot unfletched arrows at 5 targets.

These were individual events, not team events.  There are any number of movies that one could base such an event on.  You are only limited by your imagination.

More later on the larger events.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:13:15 AM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:19:17 AM »
"At the knife throwing event, you threw five times.  Your first throw determined your starting point and each subsequent throw had to stick to the right of your first throw.  Points awarded for proper placement of all five.  Points were deducted for improper placement and non-sticks."

Now that one will separate the lucky sticks from the ones who practice.  I would not do well, even if I managed to stick it the first time.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:45 AM »

Ain't it great to be retired!

Not retired yet.  Broke my back December 29 so bicycle racing is over for me now. That opens up 8-10 hours a week I used to spend training or racing. More time for guns, fishing and hunting now b
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »
Dave I love woods walks as long as there is a wide clear trail.  Poison oak & ivy ruin out door traveling for me.  I use to get it so bad that I failed my physical for the Air Force in 1969.  One year on New Years Day I ended up in the emergency room with both eyes swollen closed.  I had gone deer hunting the day before just after an ice storm...everything was covered with ice.  I don't hunt honey suckle thickets any more.  Just use deer stands on clean trees. LOL
Jesse
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 10:50:27 AM »
One other thing we found out is whatever the scenario is you must make sure every group gets the same story. And you may have to verify the story if someone protests their score. So the best method is to record it on some sort of device and play it for each group.

Hungry Horse

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »
Rich  Fort de Chartes is having one March the 11th. 2 man teams. They call it the great race.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 05:16:35 PM »
Rich  Fort de Chartes is having one March the 11th. 2 man teams. They call it the great race.

Not ready lol but will see if I can get down there to meet folks and learn.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
A few words of warning. Scenarios that are a little too realistic can be very dangerous. We built a rattlesnake that not only rattle but launched from cover, and struck at the participant. Not good, could literally cause heart failure, or someone to shoot themself or someone else. A life size dummy cut from a discarded all foam mattress that when dressed in old cloths was pretty darned convincing, was once again triggered by a steel target and designed to attack the shooter, who now had an empty gun. The problem was we didn't consider double barrel shotguns, or back up pistols. Also it's pretty hard to extinguish one of these things if it is set afire by a point blank shot, from a 12 gauge.

Hungry Horse

Offline little joe

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:27 AM »

Not ready lol but will see if I can get down there to meet folks and learn.
Rich some of the best events are in your back yard. Take advantage of the  of meeting and learning

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:00:30 AM »
I have been on only one of these in all my shooting years, and it was such fun!  I was killed in the first three minutes of the walk.  Being young, cocky and too competitive (I lead my party of four.  Only a few yards into the course, the trail dipped to cross a trickle of a stream, and as I approached, I dropped my eyes to the creek, and was shot through the chest with an arrow by an enemy from 5 feet away I would have seen had I been smarter.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »
 Fort de Chartes has a fall woodswalk 1st full weekend in Nov. 5 man teams.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Longknife

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 04:44:12 PM »
The one  at  Fort DeChartre is the best. Used to compete there. My team managed to win one year, we all shot smoothbores with 'Buck-n-ball" loads" in paper cartridges.....They complained about us tearing up the targets though. We had to "rescue" a kidnapped baby, which we did and completed the course with one member left alive.....(it wasn't me)....Ed
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:46:20 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »

Rich,

I'm pretty sure the scenarios won't include bicycles!  Go for it!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
Im excited about this. Going to start shooting from the bag every weekend. Sounds like I need to get my smoothbore done.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
Taylor,
We had a similar station one year.  Came over a rise into a gulley with a stream running thru it.  Spied 2 Indian maidens bathing in the stream.  Not so evident was a warrior hidden on the far bank and another upstream.  Had 5 seconds to spy them and call the shots.  While there was a team leader, only the 1st man in line was loaded and served as the scout.  He would identify targets and call out for however many needed to load for the situation and the next men in line would load as required.  Once that station was over, the next man in line became the scout and the present one dropped back to the end of the line.

I had a warrior pop up behind me and club me in the head.  He took my pouch and horn.  I was shooting a 24 ga. smoothbore.  I had a spare flask of powder in my haversack and some buckskin for moccasin repair.  Another team member was shooting a .54.  I was able to patch his balls with the buckskin and continue on the trail.

A fallen log was across the trail leaning against a tree.  You had to duck under the log which had a rubber copperhead on it.  Anyone who didn't notice it had to draw from the penalty bag.  Ideally the scout alerted the rest of the party.

Two turkeys.  2nd man called to load.  Both had to fire at the same time or one turkey flew away.  Max points...both men fired AND hit both turkeys.

Knockdown buffalo target, easy shot.  At the next station, the guide says now you gotta skin it.  There was a loose 2" barge rope which you had to cut in two with one slice.

You're camped for the nite.  It's pitch black and you are alerted to possible hostiles.  Next man in line is blindfolded and told to load his gun.  False alarm is called and he is told to pull the ball and dump the charge.  Timed event.

You come upon a dead man.  There is a yellow ribbon tied in a tree above his head.  Normally, you would plunder his body for anything you could use.  However, the yellow ribbon is a sign that he died from smallpox.  If you touched his body, you had to draw a penalty.

Back to the original scenario.  Up to this point you had only been hunting game.  You come up on a ravaged campsite with no bodies present.  There is a child's doll and a blue ladies bonnet on the ground.  You draw the conclusion there are hostiles in the area with possible hostages.  Thereafter, the rest of the trail dealt with hostiles.  Targets were spring loaded popups that the scorekeeper would trip after you had passed them.  Sometimes 2 or 3 on either side of the trail, behind logs or trees, or even off to the side but behind the party.  The scout was always given sufficient time to identify and call for others to load without penalty.  However, if XX seconds passed without a response, you had to draw a penalty.  There were several ambushes with 8 or more hostiles.

You came upon an Indian standing behind a woman with a knife at here throat.  His shoulder was exposed.  You had to shoot the Indian without hitting the woman.

Another station had a 90 degree bend in the trail and as the scout came around there was a hostile in the bushes and a tomahawk throwing gizmo which would fling it at your legs if you didn't shoot the hostile after so many seconds.  In all deference to Hungry Horse's post, if you are prone to having a heart attack or can't handle stress.....you don't need to be participating in these events in the first place.

At one event, it terminated with a fort shoot.  Multiple hostiles scattered in a field attacking the fort.  You loaded behind the fort's wall and shot thru a small slot.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Fort de Chartes has a fall woodswalk 1st full weekend in Nov. 5 man teams.

Mr. Bingham, Little Joe, and Longknife, we should get together. Red Bud and Alton are close by to me. Little Joe, where are you?  PM or email me at richpierceetl@gmail.com
Andover, Vermont