Author Topic: The Beall Horn  (Read 2372 times)

seesbirds

The Beall Horn
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:06:44 AM »
This is a commission.  The gentleman who ordered it is going to present it to a friend of his, hence the difference between the title of this thread and the name on the horn.  The client wanted a very light patina "the color of very weak tea."  After talking to a few fellow hornworkers I decided that a quick wipe with pot perm would do the job. This horn is in all likelihood destined for a life on a shelf in the gun room so I'm not too worried about the finish fading or wearing off.  The horn is sealed and ready to carry so even if he does carry it I just gave the patina a small kick start.  After all as Tim Crosby told me over the phone: "Patina is just dirt." 

LH carry, 11.5" along the outside curve, 2.25" diameter at the base.  Turned and stained cherry base plug, glued and pinned with 3/16 birch pins.  Rosewood fiddle peg stopper with a gold embellishment at the tip. Finished with a coat of renaissance wax.

As always, questions, comments and critique, cheerfully accepted. Thanks for looking.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: The Beall Horn
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
 That is one $#*! of a horn Mark, Beautify  done, the Workmanship is almost Unbelievable and the stand...Really neat idea.

Tim C.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:11:51 PM »
My first thought was "real nice horn". Then I saw the reverse, and thought "REAL nice horn"! The design is just what I've been dreaming of for a few years, but with different scrimshaw. I may be in touch with you to commission one myself.

I hope Mr. Fanjul doesn't see it here before it is presented to him.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
I always enjoy seeing your work and this is no different.
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln