Author Topic: Traditional Namibian Day Horn and Powder Measure  (Read 3148 times)

Joe S

Traditional Namibian Day Horn and Powder Measure
« on: March 11, 2017, 12:37:16 AM »
Springbuck, male and female. 

The fiddle peg is ebony of unknown providence from TOW.  The plug is genuine Rock Mountain Ebony, grown right here in Montana.

Offline JBJ

Re: Traditional Namibian Day Horn and Powder Measure
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:55:09 PM »
Jose,
OK, I'll bite. What is Rocky Mt. ebony? Beautiful and very unusual, BTW.
J.B.

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
That would be  a piece of scrap maple I found under my workbench, stained with India ink.  Unlike most of my projects, it came out very well.  It's an exact match for the real ebony.

I lied about it being grown in Montana.  It came from back east somewhere.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:38:28 PM »
Pretty good odds that it won't slip out of your hands! Pretty cool, different.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:06:09 PM »
Jose,
Inquiring minds need to know,  is a Springbuck some sort of Montana sheep cross with the Africa Springbok or just a spelling error?  :-\
David
I must be on the mend from my surgery.  ::) 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 10:05:15 PM »
 Looks pretty neat. How long is the horn?

Tim C.

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 01:09:52 AM »
David

Good question.  “Springbuck” is an Anglicized version of the Afrikaans word “springbok”.  Both are accepted spellings for the animal identified by taxonomists as Antidorcas marsupialis. So, the entomological origins are from the Dutch springen “spring” + bok “antelope” => Afrikaans “springbok” => English “springbuck”.

Of course, being a traditionalist in all matters, I’m sure that you would prefer the Xhosa word ibhadi.  Or perhaps even better, considering that these particular horns are A. marsupialis hofmeyri, you would find tsebe from Tswana both philologically and geographically more accurate.  However, since you and I are probably the only people around here who speak both of these languages, I thought it was best to present a word most likely to be recognized by the most folks.  Hence, “springbuck”.

I can tell you're getting better.  You were pretty nice for a while, but now you’re getting back to regular.

Tim

The big horn is about 8" long, and 1 1/2” x 1 1/8” at the base.  The little horn is about 4 1/4” long, and 5/8” x 1” diameter.  Because of their thick rings, these horns preclude much shaping.

The measure is calibrated at 115 grains, so one scoop for ostrich or warthog, and two scoops for elephant or rhino.  I haven’t measured the volume of the big horn yet, but it seems like it ought to handle 10 or 12 full charges of powder.  That’s about as many times as I want to shoot the 2 bore in a day anyway, so it’s just about right.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:11:41 AM by Jose Gordo »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
Even the thought of shooting a 2 bore at full throttle makes my rotator cuff scream. That has to be an eyeball rattling event!
As they say back home in the hills - it kills on one end and cripples on the other.
J.B.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:17:25 AM »
Nice work. I did not get to talk to you more about it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine