Author Topic: Any info on old rifle makers  (Read 3779 times)

11thcav

Any info on old rifle makers
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:07:59 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could give me info on some old rifle makers?  J.xx Geiger,  A. Gurn, and P. Weiker. The Weiker gun has a cheek piece carved on both sides, has anyone ever seen this? Also The Geiger gun is marked with a xx after the first initial and also marked No 20 after last name. If anyone can help with these guns I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Any info on old rifle makers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 03:49:35 AM »
William Bodenhiemer of Fairfield County, Ohio often carved cheek pieces on both sides of his stocks. They were in the shape of a snail.
Mark
Mark

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:13:14 AM »
There is a P. WEIKER percussion fullstock, with a cheekpiece on both sides, in the county historical society museum here.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »
"John E. Geiger , a gunsmith, came from Elmira to Towanda in 1830 and started the first regular gun shop in the town and perhaps in the county.... and continued at his trade until 1858, when he was succeeded by his son, J.V. Geiger". "J. Valentine Geiger, born October 5 1831 in Towanda, died suddenly Dec.28, 1913 in East Towanda, Pa.". The son was, "Jolly and genial he was popularly known to his many friends as the "Boss."    My Geiger over under percussion gun is stamped J.V. Geiger, so I suppose that your gun was made by the father , John E.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
 I have a rifle made in  Elkheart Indiana, by W.H Brown with two cheek pieces. This gun is a late percussion fullstock.

Hungry Horse

11thcav

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:31:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
  OULT, Does your Geiger gun have a number inscribed in the barrel after the name? If I can figure out how to get pictures on here, I will try, maybe that will help. Having a hard time trying to explain what I mean.
  Curt J, whare would that historical society museum be located? Would you remember if that gun was very ornate? The one I have has 20some silver and brass inlays on it, I would like to know if that is unusual or just Weiker style.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 09:22:07 PM »
I dislike the challenge of posting photos to this site, so just e-mail an image to me at WGLOWE@TDS.NET
My J.V. GEIGER gun is just stamped with the name as shown, with no serial number. I've been out moving some of our heavy New Hampshire snow, so my previous response on the Geiger family was rather incomplete. Here's a bit more on your gun's probable maker J.E. Geiger (father of JV):"..was a native of Sunbury, Pa... was reared in Reading, Pa, learned the gunsmith trade in Williamsport, and later worked as a journeyman in various sections of the country". John E. Geiger actually retired in 1857 and died in August, 1878, age seventy-eight years.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 03:48:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
  OULT, Does your Geiger gun have a number inscribed in the barrel after the name? If I can figure out how to get pictures on here, I will try, maybe that will help. Having a hard time trying to explain what I mean.
  Curt J, whare would that historical society museum be located? Would you remember if that gun was very ornate? The one I have has 20some silver and brass inlays on it, I would like to know if that is unusual or just Weiker style.

The P. Weiker rifle is in the Bureau County Historical Society Museum, Princeton, Illinois.  I recall the rifle being well made, with a few small inlays.  Not real ornate, but not plain either.

11thcav

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 04:07:00 AM »
Thank you all, I will get some pictures on as soon as I figure out how.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »
I had already e-mailed this to 11thcav, but thought that I'd try Dennis' new image feature. There is NO serial number  stamped on the few J E GEIGER guns that I've seen

Offline OLUT

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:09 PM »
Correction to previous post ... The few J.E. Geiger guns I've seen are hand engraved and have serial numbers> I have NOT seen any guns serial numbered by the son J. V. Geiger, who was known locally as "BOSS"