Author Topic: Pillow Ticking Bag?  (Read 13968 times)

g2608671@verizon.net

Re: Pillow Ticking Bag?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 03:35:19 AM »
Black Flex Seal over cotton batting or ticking?  I just might give that a try.

Definitely going to work up a leather and ticking bag. Really like the way this looks.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 05:32:32 AM »
Black Flex Seal over cotton batting or ticking?  I just might give that a try.

Definitely going to work up a leather and ticking bag. Really like the way this looks.

Simple black gloss oil paint works well, but can get stiff. The best I ever made up was black gloss latex mixed 50/50 with BLO, mixed very, very well with a electric drill mixer. Dried it outside over many hot sunny days on a simple 2x4 stand I rigged up. Nice an pliable.
Psalms 144

Treebeard

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 07:14:02 AM »
I would think that the ground cloths and raincoats that are vulcanized would make good cloth shooting bags. The civil war sutlers  have them. In fact this thread is giving me the idea to repurpose one I have tucked away unused.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
I would think that the ground cloths and raincoats that are vulcanized would make good cloth shooting bags. The civil war sutlers  have them. In fact this thread is giving me the idea to repurpose one I have tucked away unused.

So long as you intend your bag to be of an era after vulcanization became common. The process was patented in 1845 both here and in England by different people. I have seen an old book from the early 1850s that shows all the products available from rubber cloth. 
Psalms 144

Offline Kermit

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »
Period costs: cotton, expensive; linen, not quite so; hemp, pretty common and cheap. Think old sails after they just won't hold another patch. Maybe a tarp or tent. We sometimes forget that cotton is only recently cheap, Eli Whitney and all that history.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
Period costs: cotton, expensive; linen, not quite so; hemp, pretty common and cheap. Think old sails after they just won't hold another patch. Maybe a tarp or tent. We sometimes forget that cotton is only recently cheap, Eli Whitney and all that history.

I believe most sails historically were hemp/linen and even wool (Viking). I have read in one of my archeological reports of a Roman age ship sail fragment discovered in Egypt that was reported to be made from cotton.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 02:41:29 AM »
Whole lot of supposition and not much of anything of a factual nature here: 

This is from an orderly book during the war of Regulation in North Carolina. 

Enoe Camp Friday May 10th 1771.
Parole—London. Countersign—Dublin.
Field Officer for the Day—Colonel Thomson.

The Commanding Officer of each Detachment will send to Mr. Hogen this morning for the Quantity of Ticking, Gartering, Thread and Needles to make shot Bags which they will Immediately get made by the Taylor of their Respective Detachments to be Distributed to their several Corps that wants them.

Another document from the same period, shows that the Govt was billed for the raw materials for the ticking shot bags, and that they had a waistcoat sized button to close them. 

Invoice from Johnston & Thackston for supplies for the   militia
Johnston & Thackston
Volume 22, Page 455
His Excellency Govt. Tryon to Johnston & Thackston,
Dr.
May 7.
To 1 quire paper
674 yd. Bedtyke for Shotbags, 4s. 4d.
47 yds. Cotton for blankets and tools, 3s.
6 oz. thread for making Do, 6d.
3 pr. Garters, 10d.
5 doz. Vest Buttons for Shotbags, 10d.
1 brod. hoe, 5s. 8d.;
1 quire paper, 1s. 6d.
21 yds, onabs. for hunting-Shirts, 1s. 3d.
2 oz. thr’d, Do, 6d.
Cash paid for making Do
5 narrow axes, 7s. 6d.
3 Do, 6s. 6d.
3 broad Do, 7s. 6d
1 Do
2 blanketts for the Hospital, 1s. 11d

Rec’d June 20, 1771, the Above Acc’t in full.
JOHNSTON & THACKSTON.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2017, 01:00:11 AM »
That is pretty awesome Luke.

One thing to note when it comes to ticking. It was not always striped. Sometimes it was plain, sometimes it was even multi color striped. I not even always cotton.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:13:51 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:48 AM »
Hi Luke! I was just wondering what had happened to you.

I thought about running down some period references to cloth shooting pouches, but everything I've seen dates to the 18th century and the original poster was asking about 1840-50s pouches, and era about which I know little.

Kind of interesting to see the price difference between "bedtyke" at just under 13 yards for a penny, versus "cotton for blankets and tools" at 1 1/3 yards per penny.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:43:03 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
Native American and Metis commonly used cloth shooting bags.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 01:31:12 AM »
Waksupi,
Here is a link to a beautiful Ken Scott ticking bag on the Contemporary Makers blog;
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/04/ken-scott-hunting-pouch-and-horn-set.html
David

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2017, 02:50:31 AM »
There is some evidence for cloth shooting bags in the 18th century but no extant ones that I know of. I have made cloth bags but I have always doubled the thickness of the fabric and never allow the machine sewing to show on the outside, I always hand finish with needle and thread. I wouldn't equate being able to afford to cloth or leather. If you have a rifle, you could afford a bag.

I love it!!

~Tony

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
I think this answers the question about if there were cloth shooting bags or not. But, I feel it still allows a certain amount of speculation as to if the average person would buy material for a shooting bag, or repurpose existing material, or even an existing bag.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2017, 04:30:48 AM »
Given what I know of the Chinese made or what ever country its imported from, I would not dream of making anything from it. VERY weak if torn down the stripe.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline art riser

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »
The little black cloth bag is a contemporary piece by Jack Hubbard. Pitch coated cloth.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:30:48 AM by art riser »

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
Re-found this recently:

August 16, 1776. Supplement.
    RUN away from the subscriber living on the levels of Green brier, two convict servant men. One named WILLIAM ROW, 18 or 19 years old, about 5 feet 8 inches high, of a fair complexion, has dark hair, is an artful fellow, and may forge a pass, as he writes a tolerable good hand; had on, when he went away, shirt, drawers, and leggins, of coarse country linen, and took with him a coat and waistcoat of cotton and linen almost white, also a smooth bore gun of the best sort, double breached, which had part of the stock broke off before, a shot bag and powder horn, very much carved, the strap of the powder horn made of striped girting, and the shot bag of blue plush. The other named ISAAC SINGER, 5 feet 4 or 5 inches high, about 25 years old, thin visaged, small made, of a dark complexion, and has very thin whitish hair; had on, when he went away, old leather breeches, a coarse shirt, brown leggins, and old shoes. They are both Englishmen, and took with them a fur hat, besides other things too tedious to mention. Whoever apprehends the said servants, and secures them so as they may be had again, shall have 40s. reward for each, if taken in the county; if out thereof 4 l. for each, paid by ARCHER MATTHEWS.

Found here: http://www.oldetoolshop.com/trekking/library/mixedbag.html

A blue plush bag would be different, for sure.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »
What about Levi pant material. How long has that been around? Could that have been used? Just asking. Oldtravler

Smoketown

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 08:21:08 PM »
What about Levi pant material. How long has that been around? Could that have been used? Just asking. Oldtravler

I believe that would be 'indigo twill' fabric.

Indigo being an old time trade item once in high demand.

Twill is ancient too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_dye

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2017, 05:22:55 AM »
      I really hate to see these bag conversations,  I have three flinters and one cap lock SXS shotgun with two bags apiece for them.   I have limited wall space left and now I want a coupe cloth bags too, I like that pillow ticking.   My grandparents could make just about anything out of whatever was handy, and it looked good and worked well too.   I guess I have too make another bag.

seniorsgt

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
cloth bag is 3 years old its been in the woods fall and winter its canvas outer with a ticking lining

seniorsgt

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »
better pictures more of a haversack can put jerky or a granola bar in it

pictures hosting site

Offline Daryl

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V