Author Topic: rice range rods  (Read 9400 times)

Offline snapper

rice range rods
« on: March 17, 2017, 01:39:07 AM »
At Friendship last year I purchased a couple of range rods from Rice.  They are nice and I like them.  I was wishing that I had flexibility to have the handle be able to rotate as the jag twisted around inside the barrel.

So, today I went to the hardware store and purchased a couple of collars, cut a 2" piece of loose fitting fuel line to put between the collar and the fixed handle.  Now I have the best of both worlds.  A fixed handle for when I need it and a free rotating rod when cleaning.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: rice range rods
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »
Fleener, can you explain "collars" or show us a picture?
Andover, Vermont

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 02:42:57 AM »

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:54:22 AM »
How did you rig the collars and fuel line to make a rotating cleaning rod.  You got a picture of your rod and how the setup looks.
iloco

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:02:03 AM »
A front hub off of a bicycle make a pretty good rotating handle for a range rod. If of course you aren't like me and think range rods dangerous.

Hungry Horse

Smoketown

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »
A front hub off of a bicycle make a pretty good rotating handle for a range rod. If of course you aren't like me and think range rods dangerous.
 Hungry Horse

They're only dangerous if you try to shoot one down range ...  :o

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »

here is a picture. 

I was going to turn a piece of wood and put on there, but have not taken the time.  So, I looked around the shop to see what I had that would work, and came up with the fuel line.

The fuel line allows the rod to turn with rifling and not unscrew the jag.  Not a huge issue for a slow twist rifle, but it is an issue for faster twist guns.  The fixed handle is still on the rod and allows me to use the ball puller or whatever I need a fixed handle for.

thought about putting a bearing on it, but I dont think it needs it.

Fleener

Online P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »
TRESO makes one that you can insert a pin in and stop the rotation or leave the pin out if you want it to rotate - under $30 for a 44"- 5/16" dia rod -"GI CLEANING & LOADING RODS
In the past the “GI” one piece steel cleaning rods, which made very good muzzle loading range rods, were readily available at most gun shows.  The availability seems to have dried up in recent years; therefore TRESO has re-introduced its version of this famous rod.  The one-piece concept has been retained but in several different lengths.  The steel shaft is 5/16” diameter with a 10x32 treaded end.  As on the original GI model, the “T” handle swivels.  TRESO has added a small cross hole through the handle and steel shaft so the handle may be made non-rotating with a piece of wire or small nail, allowing the use of a bullet puller.  With handle rotation, the cleaning patch on a jag will follow the spiral of the rifling, giving a better cleaning action.  Use standard TRESO 10x32 threaded accessories with the GI Rod such as the button jag, bullet puller and worm.  As with all loading and cleaning rods you should use a rod guide to protect the bore from rod wear. Made In The USA."
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
Not so. I was at a range a few years ago and a newbie was there loading with his range rod. He loaded the gun with powder, and after starting his "nice tight patch ball" he ran the load with its lightly greased patch down the bore in one stroke. BANG! Rod, ball, and fire, erupted from the muzzle. Luckily the rod had a round ball on top that pushed his hand away. He got a couple of scorched fingers, and some singed eyebrows, and that was about it. The gun was .36 cal. Which also made for less damage. After a thorough examination the conclusion was that the lightly greased patch rammed home in one stroke generated enough compression heat to ignite the patch on its way to he powder.
 I think all conditions have to be just right for this to happen, but since I don't know for sure just what those conditions are, it was easier to just lose the range rod.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:03:46 PM »
I doubt it was compression; more likely a latent spark.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 04:09:47 AM »
So if it was a latent spark,why didn't it go off when he poured the powder into the barrel? Nobody wants to heart these stories because they are all hopelessly attached to there range rods.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 02:07:20 PM »
I can not understand why a range rod would be different than a standard re in the case cited. What am I missing?

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »
HH, I'm with Mr. Glazner on this. Why would loading with a RR be any different than loading with the rod of your rifle?

Not trying to pick a fight or anything but if you know something we don't, educate us man.

n stephenson

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 04:44:31 PM »
Ever seen a fire piston?

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 05:23:19 PM »
i think the key point here is that the range rod was sent down the barrel in a single stroke.   unlikely that a ram rod is stiff enough to do the same.  also we are taught short strokes with a rr to avoid breakage.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

galudwig

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
I'd hate to tangle with a "newbie" who could slam a "nice tight patch ball" combo down a 36-42" barrel in a single stroke of a range rod with a force equal to that generated by a fire piston.

Smoketown

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »
I thought that the muzzle loader 'fire-piston' and dieseling myths were debunked some time ago ...

Hey, I've been wrong before.   ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:17 PM »
The difference between a range rod, and the wooden ramrod, is the ridgidity, and handle, and or knob, on the range rod. That ridged rod, with its comfy knob, or handle,and muzzle guide, allows one to load in one rapid stroke, without fear of breaking the rod.  Rather than  a couple of slower staged strokes.
 If accidents happened every time, the problem would be well known. But, everything has to be just right for combustion to occur. Look at the reports of accidental discharges while loading, and you will find that in most cases they have no cause that is discernible. I bought a firepiston just to test the theory. They are a finicky piece of equipment, that requires proper seal,rapid stroke, and proper combustible material with just the right amount, and type of lubrication. I think caliber, and barrel length may also play a part but have no divinities proof.
 I just don't want to take the risk. I also feel that if you are focused on how fast you can load your muzzleloader, you need to move on to something more modern.

Hungry Horse

Smoketown

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 02:43:20 AM »
Hungry Horse,

I have 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 inch range rods from 10 to 48 inches long.

Most of them have 2 inch 'shifter balls' for handles.

I use them with the same care that I do with a tapered wooden rod.  ;)

The only nice things are is that they don't hurt my palm when I push (not pound) on the rod end AFTER the ball contacts the powder, and I can SEE the ball above my sights !!!  :o   :-X  ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

galudwig

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
As if having to worry about our 12L14 barrels bursting on us wasn't enough.  Now we have to worry about our steel range rods too.  I imagine the consequences of using both together would be like pressing a plunger detonator on a bundle of dynamite.  ::)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Folks, granted, I think the danger is small, but not nonexistent. I think the person that this will happen to, is the same person than many other accidents likely  will happen to. Every one of us has seen the shooter on the firing line that loads like a robot, with their mind somewhere else, getting the task at hand done in the fastest manner, without really paying attention. This is the guy, or gal, that will most likely have this problem. The AD can easily be avoided by simply doing something to break the chain of event that have to occur to create the problem i.e., short strokes, wetter, or possibly different patch lube, anything to break the chain. But, the most important thing is pay attention.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »
The powder may have been poured but the seating of the ball forced it to make contact with the ember.  The ember could have been in the pan, or in a flash channel if it was a patent breech.  Otherwise, the shooter wasn't a man but rather a gorilla.  ::)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
An ember of what? All that is in there is powder, and either more powder if flint, and cap material. I think my explanation has as much merit as yours, and the fire piston can at least prove the possibility of ignition fron deiseling.

Hungry Horse

Offline Hefner

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 05:06:54 AM »
I agree with everything P.W. Berkuta said and described concerning the TRESO G.I. cleaning rods.  I have had mine for more than 35 years and it's still like new!

Steve Hefner

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
This is the second time that I have heard of this happening. I have not witnessed it in person however but strange things happen.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'