Author Topic: Kentucky flint lock rifle value question?  (Read 4872 times)

Big Ralph

Kentucky flint lock rifle value question?
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:01:40 PM »
Hi All, I have a general question about the value of todays Kentucky rifles. I went to a show last month and saw many beautiful flint lock guns. The prices were from around 3000.00 to 25,000.00. My question is, do these guns hold their value at all or are they like when you buy a car, once you bought it it's worth half of that or less. I own eight muzzleloaders both antique and 20th century and because I bought them second hand, I know I could make some money on them but when you buy todays guns, with their prices, is it just understood that you'll never be able to sell them for anything near what they cost? I am not looking to sell any of mine but may be looking to have a new one build and was just wondering about future values. Thanks. 

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Kentucky flint lock rifle value question?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 11:19:26 PM »
Hi All, I have a general question about the value of todays Kentucky rifles. I went to a show last month and saw many beautiful flint lock guns. The prices were from around 3000.00 to 25,000.00. My question is, do these guns hold their value at all or are they like when you buy a car, once you bought it it's worth half of that or less. I own eight muzzleloaders both antique and 20th century and because I bought them second hand, I know I could make some money on them but when you buy todays guns, with their prices, is it just understood that you'll never be able to sell them for anything near what they cost? I am not looking to sell any of mine but may be looking to have a new one build and was just wondering about future values. Thanks.

Values of Anything are determined by what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.
Classic Cars (1929-1942) have gone crazy in the last 30 years and now nobody
really enjoys them other than speculators. Most of the really fine antique guns are
now in private collections and are rarely if ever seen at shows.

Bob Roller

Big Ralph

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »
Hi Bob. I am not talking about the fine antique guns, I mean the higher priced new guns are far as holding their value.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:07 AM »
My guns generally resell for more than I originally sold them for. Of course my prices top out around 5K, I wouldn't know what the higher end market is like.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:46:17 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:26 AM »
I have watched in amazment as one of my rifles is sold repeatedly, and each time, they bring more than the last.  I have never seen one of my rifles sell for less than I got for it originally.  I've even bought a few back, and paid more than I got originally.
This question is likely best answered by someone without a dog in the race.  There are many factors that determine a rifle's value, but overall quality would be number one, as determined by the builder's peers.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Big Ralph

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
Great information guys. Thanks so much. It's not that I would ever sell a gun I had made for me but down the line, when I've gone to the happy hunting grounds, someone will most likely take that step and unload all my junk. I was just curious about values in the future.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 06:40:40 PM »
 As a non professional gun maker or serious collector. This is my two cents. Have been to a lot of gun shows. It depends a lot on the area an the people that attend to get the high dollar. Have more than once bought guns that at the shows like CLA would bring higher amount but at another show far less. Because the people attending have know clue what the gun is worth or who the builder is. If you ever sale one. Make the effort to attend the better shows where the serious people (buyer's) attend.....Oldtravler

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »
when I've gone to the happy hunting grounds, someone will most likely take that step and unload all my junk. I was just curious about values in the future.

There should be great bargains to be had at my farewell yardsale...if my wife sells it all for what I told her I paid.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Big Ralph

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »
Are ya feelin shaky Kevin???? Maybe I could come over and put some early bird bids in on them. Not to rush ya along or nothing. LOL

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 02:33:07 AM »
  YARD SALE when's the YARD SALE...seriously that thought scares me...up here in Northern Michigan your lucky if you can get 6-8 hundred for a well made flint rifle...sad but true..Mike

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:48 AM »
Hi Bob. I am not talking about the fine antique guns, I mean the higher priced new guns are far as holding their value.

The willing seller and willing buyer still applies to new guns,old guns or anything else.

Bob Roller

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:57:57 AM »
Like guitars and cars, buy a rifle that speaks to your heart and what YOU enjoy.  If you buy for that reason, you really won't care if it goes up or down in price.  If you buy a longrifle for investment, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, keep in mind that what brings a price is an item that means something to the person with money AT THAT POINT IN TIME.  In other words, the item that someone wanted when they were a kid, that now they can afford.  Young kids don't have the money, and old folks are usually looking to pass on to the next generation. 

In 20 years will some rich guy want your longrifle?  Only if we take kids shooting now and get them interested.  Think on it. 

Best wishes,  and God Bless,   Marc

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 04:55:32 AM »
  Well said Marc...

Offline EC121

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 06:04:48 AM »
Those rifles in your collection that you got deals on were probably rifles that someone else bought for an investment, and their children sold them for half of what they were worth to clear up the estate.  :D  I have some rifles and know of others built by the premier builders of their time that the current shooters and collectors have no idea who they were.  I have shown some at gun shows and drawn a blank look when I said who the builder was.  The investment value of those rifles is past its peak.  Timing is everything.
        Original rifles will come closer to being investment material.  They have history and limited supply on their side.  Contemporary rifles are to be used and enjoyed.  An unfired condition on a contemporary rifle has no value to me.  It will be in used(fired) condition as soon as I get home with it.  ;-) 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:13:08 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Hobie Dog

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 01:56:45 PM »
Big Ralph raises an interesting question that I am sure most collectors think about.  I have limited knowledge of what great Kentucky rifles of the Golden Age are being held by "private collectors" and I realize that value is ,to a large degree, what the buyer and seller agree it should be, assuming there actually are buyers. Having experience acquiring what, I believe, are considered great Kentuckys, other than whatever it is that motivates the buyer, what is the real value? I have heard lots of stories about what someone paid 10 or 20 years ago, but how relevant is it today? So Ralph, just hope that you can find a buyer that shares whatever it was that motivated you as a buyer and tell them whatever you think they will believe about what you paid for it. Good Luck ! Love to hear other opinions especially from those private collectors.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 12:49:59 AM »
   The best time to sell is when the perspective buyer has the money in hand. Inevitably I'm a day late an a dollar short..!    Oldtravler