Author Topic: Making Coad  (Read 4023 times)

gizamo

Making Coad
« on: March 19, 2017, 01:56:07 AM »
I'm looking for suggestions on rendering pine resin for making coad.  I have powderedized the resin but it still takes a long time to get it to blend together with the beeswax.  Can I cut the powder with alcohol to liquefy it....before adding  the beeswax? Will that change the way it imulsifies into the wax?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:50:36 AM by gizamo »

Smoketown

Re: Making Coad
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:51:06 AM »

2 Parts violin rosin, less than $10.00
1 Part beeswax
1/8 by volume almond or olive oil

Melt wax and rosin together in a double boiler adding oil, a drop at a time as needed. Lamp black used to be added for color, since it was used on shoes, originally.
Lamp black can be collected by suspending a piece of glass a little above a kerosene lamp. You then collect the soot from the glass. It doesn't take much.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/33120-rosin-and-beeswax/

Cheers,
Smoketown

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:47:32 AM »
Smoketown...

Thanks for the awesome link!

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »
Okay gizamo I surrender - what is coad?

I tried an internet search and all I got was a reference to COPD....

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »
Okay gizamo I surrender - what is coad?

I tried an internet search and all I got was a reference to COPD....
Shoemaker's wax

gizamo

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
James has it right.  It's not limited to shoes. It works great for making bags. In color, it can be made from light amber to black . It also lends a tackiness to the beeswax....which helps bind the stitching. Some ingredients make it anti microbial, helping stop the thread from rotting.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
Yep, most call it shoemaker's wax but I call it saddler's wax ; )
Pitch, tallow, asphaltum, beeswax, there are a lot of recipes.
I generally use blend of beeswax and brewer's pitch.

Smoketown

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:50:35 PM »
As I recall, BagPipe shops either carried the coad or pre-coated string for trying the stocks into the bag.

Just a thought ...

Cheers,
Smoketown

gizamo

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:55 AM »
Smoketown...

The fun is in learning the methods involved in making your own. Even way up here in the District of Maine...Mass Bay Colony - we had the basic ingredients. Making my own Coad (and dubbin) adds a bit of history to the way I make my shot bags... . .

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
I made a blend ofequal parts  pitch and  resin, a little pine oil and stuck it in one of those brown crocks used for cheese...the one with the metal clip.  I have kept it in my shoemaking bench and used it for about thirty years.   I stopped making shoes in 2001 and did not resume until 2013.  The mixture was still in tact in the crock. 

It'll dry out so I periodically re-heat it and add some oil.  Not a good idea to try heating it in the kitchen or indoors or use anything more than a very low heat.  It'll behave like fuel and burn your house down.

No matter what the formula, it is sticky big time.

It is also durable.  When I finally dragged my butt back to the Eastern in 2013 after fifteen years in Cowboy Action, I was flat out shocked when a friend named Parson Jim walked up to me and asked for a pair of Batts because the pair I made for him so many years ago ( twenty, I think) had finally given out at the heel. All those years and the stitching held up with the COAD in it.

Now, my shoes are no better than anybody elses, and all I had left when I showed up was my trekking gear, two flintlocks, shoemaking tools and small clothes made by a great seamstress named Maggie Flynn, so when I got home I right away looked for that crock of COAD.  Still there and workable.  Guns are guns and tools are tools, but the fact that Maggie's small clothes have held up all these years and that  this gent sang the praises of my shoes are testimony to the value of crafts people trading their stuff for other crafts people's stuff.   Hope I find Maggie soon because two and a half decades of my small clothes are taking their toll.   Most of the other folks for whom I made shoes have dropped out for one reason or another.

Never tried beeswax as part of this mixture. 

Some guys like to keep it floating in water because the mixture they make is a bit runny.  I like mine dry enough to need friction rubbing on the thread to soften it and allow it to penetrate, and I don't make shoes frequently enough to need it in a firken.  It is a little less dense that a cake of beeswax, but I don't know how authentic that is.

I was taught that it was a must in welting and very advisable in soling. When I mixed two parts hemp and one part flax thread, or three hemp and two linen, I found its chief value was in holding the pigs hair or nylon bristle on and doing a good job of permeating the leather when closing.

It's other value was coloration on my meershaum pipe.

Inasmuch as it comes off easily with WD 40 I don't know why I don't use it more, but in a pegged shoe when I tack the uppers before soling a heavy Barbours with beeswax is easier to work with and just as durable.

It's most distinctive feature, however, is the visible difference it makes when closing and flattening a seam.

Never tried it on saddles and gunbelts, though, and I must admit I was a little annoyed when making cowboy rigs because those guys liked seeing the white machine stitch on the dark background.

The Honourable Cordwainers website will probably lead you to a couple of recipes.

The Capgun Kid
( AKA The Still River Cordwainer )