Author Topic: When to mount ramrod pipes?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline tomjanemc

When to mount ramrod pipes?
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:34:40 AM »
 I'm building an Ohio style percussion fullstock and the forearm is squared off. When do most of you builders inlet and mount the ramrod pipes? While the forearm is still square or after you round off and shape the forearm?
 I've always mounted the pipes after the final shaping of the forearm and thought I'd try something different this time.

Offline FALout

Re: When to mount ramrod pipes?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:24:15 AM »
Last couple of rifles, I installed the pipes when forearm was still square.  To me, its easier to get the pins straight and where I want them since I'm using a drill press.  Any little bit of blowout of wood will not show once I shape the forearm.  The only issue is if you leave too much material on the forearm, drill bit may not be long enough, I like to drill as far as possible thru the stock from one side.  I set up my drill press with a sharpened pin mounted right exactly below the drill bit, spots marked on stock both sides, one for the pin and the other for the bit to enter.  I usually do a lot of butt stock work prior to this point, easier to hold rifle @ forearm.
Bob

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:12:48 AM »
I do all inletting of parts except for patchbox, decorative inlays and nosecap while the stock is square.

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:48:34 AM »
I do all inletting of parts except for patchbox, decorative inlays and nosecap while the stock is square.
DITTO!!   Bob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
Hi Tom,
I cut down the forestock to a width almost at the final dimension, square it up and then do the pipes and their pins. That way there is not a lot of excess wood to drill through for the pins and after the pipes are in, the forestock can be shaped to almost finished form very quickly.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

ron w

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »
smart dog,...I have one of those smart dogs too! I completely agree with what you posted, as well.

n stephenson

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
Everybody seems to be on the same page here. I too inlet everything I can with the stock "in the square" for all the reasons mentioned.     Nate

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »
Thanks everyone for your response! Smart dogs response makes sense. Never thought about getting the forearm near the finish width and keeping it square, and inlet the pipes.