Author Topic: CVA Upgrade  (Read 2734 times)

Offline grabenkater

CVA Upgrade
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
So, I picked up a really nice CVA halfstock for my son. I  was curious about upgrading the European beech stock to something nicer. Is there a vendor that sells precarve stocks for these? I thought I remembered a vendor who was offering them in nicer woods.

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: CVA Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:05 PM »
I know the CVA kentuckies were stocked in something other than maple, but I thought the half stocks they offer were maple, except for their Hawken. My son was given a CVA Frontier halfstock years ago that has a very nice curly maple stock. And, I traded into a CVA mountain rifle kit quite a few years ago that had such a pretty stock I was able to trade it for a first generation Colt replica .36 Navy revolver. So are you sure it isn't maple?

Hungry Horse

n stephenson

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 04:56:25 PM »
You might have no interest at all but, if you can`t find a replacement stock of your liking . There have been a few posts recently about faux striping,  if it is something you deplore, no problem , if not ,then it might be an inexpensive alternative?   Just food for thought.                   Nathan

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
I would think the any pre-carved stock with the proper barrel channel would work. A pre-inlet stock is another matter.
Brice Stultz

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I am certain it is beech and I have already done the faux striping on another CVA for my oldest son. I am considering just starting from scratch on this one.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:55 PM »
Early CVA mountain rifles were stocked in beech. They were quite accurate shooters too.  I think the best bet is getting a blank inletted for the barrel and ramrod hole drilled. Since you have at the very least an original to work from, it could be fairly easy to lay out the blank for shaping.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:59:20 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline ScottH

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:52:45 AM »
If anyone would/might have pre-carve for this it would be Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:50 AM »
Some very early CVA mountain rifles were stocked in maple, from plain to modestly curly, I think.  The one I've worked on for a friend  seems to be maple with only a hint of curl and a Douglas barrel, very early.  The lock, if Spanish, is well made and has an internal bridle on the tumbler.  I told him to keep after me about fixing it (broken sear, after 40 years, other minor stuff) or I'd take such a liking to it I'd keep it.  Luckily it is percussion, so I was able not to covet.

To me, beech when stained and finished doesn't look all that different from plain maple.  I'd just refinish it a little more traditionally and enjoy it, or sell it if it's factory finished in great condition and buy another one built from a kit to restock or refinish.

I noticed last fall at Friendship that Traditions has brought back the mountain rifles, and they may not be perfect, but they look a lot nicer than the T/C's!  I'm tempted to try a flintlock.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I am certain it is beech and I have already done the faux striping on another CVA for my oldest son. I am considering just starting from scratch on this one.

Is it a Frontier Carbine? 

My two brothers and I each have one.  Very Accurate, I made my own sights a few years back so it would look more period