Author Topic: rear sight no notch  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Duane Harshaw

rear sight no notch
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:38:35 AM »
how would you go about putting a notch in a rear sight that does not have oneI was thinking needle files.what say you.
Coaldale Alberta Canada

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: rear sight no notch
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:13:31 AM »
I relieve the area in front of the notch area with a small burr, round file or drill, depending on the sight style, then start the notch with a jeweler saw and widen it if need be with needle file. I like finer sights with a tight notch, some like wider notch with more light on either side of the front sight.
There are lots of choices.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
I just reworked the rear V notch on one of my rifles with jewlers file.  I was having some trouble picking up the front sight blade in the very tiny rear sight notch. I really don't care if the notch I expanded does not comply with some obscure and ancient requirement relative to how it was done back-in-the-day. The important thing is that I can see the sights and fire the rifle accurately. 

Offline sdilts

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
Hacksaw works well

ltdann

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
I hack sawed a slot and then opened a v at the top with a triangle file.  Took all of 30 seconds.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
It's probably worthwhile to make dummies up plastic or paper or cardboard rear sights which have been slotted various widths to check how your sight picture will look before cutting your real rear sight.  A lot depends on barrel length and front sight width.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »
I always start narrow and widen if needed. It is easy to take away metal but harder to put it back.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 05:38:43 AM »
When Taylor and I could see, we oft used a knife with a good blade, and a hammer. Nice fine, V notch.
If the blade is too hard, you might lose a piece of it with this method.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 03:50:52 PM »
I start the notch in a blank rear sight using a triangular file which is right on the scribed mark. Needless to say, the "V" isn't as deep as the final depth of the notch. A 1/16" thick needle file is centered by the "V" and squares up the notch to the final depth, Then a safe edge needle file widens the notch to its final width. The final side cuts of this file slightly  angle the sides of the notch so that the notch becomes wider towards the muzzle side.

For my "old eyes", I preferred a notch width twice as wide as the .100 thick front sight blade as viewed when the rifle is aimed. The bbl lengths used are 42"-46". This arrangement might seem to cause inaccuracy , but has accounted for 100s of head hit squirrels during the 31 yrs of use.....Fred

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:31:40 PM by flehto »