Author Topic: Vent Liner Size  (Read 2113 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Vent Liner Size
« on: March 21, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
I want to replace the vent liner in a rifle that has a 1/4 x 28 liner with a White Lightning liner.  Because of the different threads involved I need to go up in size of the liner and re-tap for the finer threads of a White Lightning.  After drilling out the threads of the 1/4 x 28 liner would I have enough meat left to safely install a 5/16 liner or do I need to go to a 3/8 inch liner? 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Vent Liner Size
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
Caliber, and barrel size are a factor. I have two guns with the 3/8" liners in them, and they are the fastest flinters I own. I do worry about future problems because I am at the largest size now, with no where to go if something goes wrong. They were both 1/16th inch touch holes before, and I used the large diameter liners to move the touch hole to a more reliable location.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »
HH:  when the liner wears to the point that you cannot stand it, you can drill a 3/16" hole into the liner, and run in an easy-out.  That will safely take out the worn liner, and you can just install a new one.
Answering the OP's question:  going up to a 5/16" liner from a 1/4" will work fine.  The tap drill for the 5/16 will completely remove all the threads in the barrel from the old liner.  Your 5/16 x 32 tap will cut brand new threads.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
I agree with the 5/16 liner, if your present 1/4 inch liner is against the face of the breech your 5/16 would just nick the breech face by 1/32 so that would be better than a 3/8 in that regard IMHO.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 07:48:26 PM »
My thoughts are if it is working OK with the size & type you have now I would just replace it IF needed otherwise I'd leave it alone  ::)-- if it an't broke don't FIX it. ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »
My thoughts are if it is working OK with the size & type you have now I would just replace it IF needed otherwise I'd leave it alone  ::)-- if it an't broke don't FIX it. ;D

Unfortately, I need to replace it.  Thanks for all the replies, l'll call Jim Chambers and get a 5/16 White Lightning liner since I'm out of that size. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 01:10:24 AM »
Muzzleloaders Builders Supply makes a liner in 1/4 x 28 that is similar to the White Lightning. Ryan is a pleasure to deal with.
Kevin