Author Topic: Denim Patches  (Read 8145 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Denim Patches
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
It would be too much trouble for me to find a sensible matching pair of pumps to go with it.  ;D  So I'd probably have to use it for patches, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
Jingles Christmas but you guys are impressive with your numbers.  All I ever did was never run all the way through a piece of cloth, have a couple of thicknesses on hand, and just get my whatever load to crack  like a whip and give me them pretty little red dots in the barrel after a shot.  I suspect that the thicker cloth always helped and I never needed more than five rounds to group once I had my sights set after the gun was new.

I always did it that way because I wondered what life in the forest was like when people could not go off to Joanns or use micrometers.

I betcha you guys who can ding Tootsie Roll Pops on a trail walk with all your tech and physics are every bit as good as those guys in the 18th century we all wish we could talk to.  If there was ever a shooting contest between todays riflemen with our guns and those souls who made our history, I'd hate to have to live on the margin.

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
Don't know if it's everywhere or not....But my local Joanne's Fabric store is having a giant sale. If it's not on sale, there are 50% coupons on their website. 

I got some very nice white flannel for $2 a yard...I have cleaning patches for a long while lol. 

Got a couple yards of pocket drill and a yard of a slightly lighter tight weave 100% cotton to try in the smoothbore.  The 10oz denim is pretty thick stuff.  They had lighter denim but it wasn't 100% cotton. The thinner stuff I got was in the same isle as the denim. It's probably still .015-.018" thick. I will mic it after I wash it. And see how it does on the range.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2017, 12:11:54 AM »
We have a "Fabricland" here in Prince George, and the ladies who staff it all know what I'm after (in the way of fabric) when I arrive with Vernier's
Calipers in hand.  They know where to go to find what I want...great service.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Maven

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2017, 01:20:45 AM »
Same story with the personnel at my local Jo Ann store, Taylor.  They've always been most helpful and interested in my search for the proper fabric/thickness of same.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline retired fella

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »
I envy you folks that can go into a fabric store and be treated so well.  Every time I show up all the clerks run and hide or group together pointing fingers.  I don't think it has to do with calipers in hand.  Must be when I set a swatch on fire to make sure it is indeed cotton..... ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »
 ;D ;D
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »
They don't know...!   :o
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.