Author Topic: New smoothbore toy.  (Read 3478 times)

Offline EC121

New smoothbore toy.
« on: April 24, 2017, 03:35:34 AM »
Just got back from the TN/KY rifle show.  We had a good time.  Everyone is an expert shot and never misses the X ring.  At least that is what they say at the show.  :)   This Jack Duprey .58(.575 measured) Netting barreled smoothbore followed me home.  Couldn't stand it and had to shoot it today.  Lots of fun to shoot.  Great trigger and ignition.  Couldn't wait any longer to shoot it.  Once I found the sight picture, these are some of the 50yd. offhand trial shots.  A .535 ball with 45gr. of 3F ball will splatter on the 12in. diameter steel.  I have some .570s.  Next week I might give them a try with a heavier load.   

Brice Stultz

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: New smoothbore toy.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:41:00 AM »
Very fine shooting.  How did you do that with such an undersized ball and light load?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
Everybody knows that 45 gr. with a way undersized ball won't shoot in a .58. ;) Of course it probably worked because you call it a smoothbore as opposed to a "smoothie", what ever that is........ (I always thought you drank smoothies till recently  :o)
 Had a friend that shot a 20 bore fowling gun with 45gr 3fff , .600 RB and .020 patch. Exceptionally good shooting gun. He even kilt deer with that load out to 50 yards.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
would love to see more of the smoothbore if you have time to post ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »
Since no one told me any different, I just used the load that Jack said he used.  Mainly to use it up I tried some of that loosely woven cloverleaf patching that is no good for a rifle with some 50-50 mink oil and coconut oil.  It will easily thumb start but is snug going down.  I rounded the muzzle a bit to ease the loading.  Because I hadn't shot it before, it took a few shots get the sight picture.  Once I did it shot pretty good.  Recovered patches weren't blown.  Jack had some targets he shot off t he bench that were 2-3" at 25 and 3" at 50.  The back sight is a wide groove in the tang so I can't expect it to be a tack driver.  I might try it off my bench today.  I am going to take some better pictures for my blog using my camera.  This one is just a phone snap as I was quitting.
   The way the steel was jumping when hit, I believe it would penetrate a deer inside 50yds.  Not sure about a grown hog.  Might have to stoke it up some for them.    I have plenty of time til deer season to experiment.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:03:22 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
Jack DuPrey does fantastic work. Love his Tennessee Mountain Rifles.

Offline EC121

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
Wattlebuster:  The pics are now on the blog.  www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com
Brice Stultz

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:42:20 PM »
 ;) ;)....Great buy..!!.... I do admire Jack's work and was an honor to finally meet him this past weekend...He had some of his rifles there and was nice to let me examine them.....his ageing jobs mage the guns appear as a 150 year old original.....He hits the nail on the head with his Soddy-Daisy hog rifles.... !!!!

Carolina_Skinner

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
Wow, that's gorgeous!!  Congratulations!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
 Just to add an update. Before Jack an I headed down to the show. We shot one of his smoothness in the back yard of his place. He shot a five shot group off hand. That you could cover with a ping pong ball. For 81 he is an amazing shot. The load was 45 grains about 18 thousands patch an  very wet. Loaded easily. An yep he builds a great gun. Also he won't sell a gun to anyone unless he knows it shoot a very well. Oldtravler