Author Topic: octagon to round rifle barrel  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

octagon to round rifle barrel
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
Does anyone know who might be making both rifled and smoothbore octagon to round barrels around 31"? I am thinking about building a half stock English rifle in .62 caliber with a hook breech, and I would like to have a 20 gauge barrel I can swap out with the rifle barrel. I know Colerain has  42" Griffin fowler barrels in rifle and smooth, but I'd rather not cut them down, and I'm not sure how the profile would suit being chopped off. Ideas?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: octagon to round rifle barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »
Pretty sure that would be a custom job and so a 6-18 month wait. Might better get the Griffin barrels and have them cut and re-shaped.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »
Hi,
Why octagon to round?  Most English rifles had swamped or tapered octagon barrels. You should be able to get rifled and smooth 62 cal octagon barrels.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

thimble rig

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Try rice barrels for the swamped barrels,they offer them in rifled and smooth bore.Also they offer square rifling too.A little cheaper.

Offline Wayne B

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
You might check with Muzzleloader Builders Supply. I bought 2 o/r smoothies 32" long last year. Not sure what's in stock now. Worth a look tho.

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
Check with Ryan at Muzzleloader Builder's Supply. I will see both him and Teri Jo tomorrow and can pick it up for you for delivery when you come to the Fair in August. Bill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
So the challenge will be that he wants a rifled and a smoothbore break that are interchangeable in th same stock.  I'm guessing octagon to round so the smoothbore barrel will be quick for wing shooting. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:50:07 PM »
Bobby Hoyte should be able to provide you with what you want.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
I know Jackie Brown was doing some as an option on his Virginia guns probably 10+ years ago. I was very happy with one he did for me. I don't know who made them, but the gun is a shooter!  I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

jeff birkey

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:08 AM »
Check with Larry at Mold and Gun shop.  He has 36" oct to round you can cut down.
Jeff

Offline Woodbutcher

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 03:40:35 AM »
 Mold and gun shop only goes to Muzzleloader supply. Any help to get to Mold and gun?   Woodbutcher

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I would rather cut down a 36" than a 42".  I couldn't find the barrels. Does Larry have a website?