Author Topic: Black Powder 3F charge /wt in pan -Flint Lock .45 Caliber Southern/Pennsylvania  (Read 3192 times)

Owl

New to Black Powder Shooting . I have both a Southern  and replica Pennsylvania long rifle .45 caliber flintlock
 Question - charge in the pan  when using 3F powder for range shooting -Can't find any documentation on it
 what charge amount do I use to start out with or how do I determine what I should be using

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 Are you asking how much powder to put in the Pan?

Tim C.

Offline smylee grouch

I don't weigh the pan charge I just fill pan to the bottom of the vent.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
 :D Welcome to the forum, Owl.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mauser06

Welcome Owl! 

Pan priming typically isn't measured or weighed. Kinda eye balled.  Depends on the lock and touch hole.  I generally cover the bottom of the pan and that's that.  1/4 maybe 1/3 of the pan full I'd guess..

More has a tendency to slow down ignition and increase the pan flash and debris in your face.

Each setup can be different.  Yours may like or need more or less powder in the pan. 

Offline Daryl

There is no need to weigh the pan charge - no matter how much nor how little powder you put in the pan, will not effect the velocity of the shot, however, whether the pan ignites the main charge or not, might depend on how little you put in the pan.

I always fill the pan.

Others just cover the bottom of the pan, a few kernels deep - I fill it - when the pan goes off, so does the main charge. I VERY rarely get a flash in the pan - if my pan goes off, so does the main charge.

Once loaded and the ball seated, powder granules are visible at the vent.

You can use 3F - many do, or 4F as many others use.  Your choice.  You may also use 2F- some do.  Note, the finer the granulation, though, the quicker the ignition, as shown in actual timed tests.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:08:12 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Natureboy

Fletch's very scientific research showed that the powder in the pan should be banked to the vent side.  That suggests that you don't need to fill it to the top, but put in enough to get a good flash. So I assume that means you don't have to fill it to the brim, but certainly cover the bottom and fill it at least 1/3 of the way.  Just before putting the frizzen in place, lean the gun over and give it a gentle tap to allow the pan powder to bank itself under the vent, but not cover it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:28:56 PM by Natureboy »

Offline Standing Bear

Start w 40 or 45 gr of FFF and work up from there in 5 gr increments. Try both .440 and .445  apps w different thicknesses of all cotton patch.

I use a full pan of 4F to prime about 3 gr. Try different things and keep notes.

ALWAYS WEAR EAR AND EYE PROTECTION!!!!
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Owl

Thanks

all of the replies were very helpful

from ( Mr)  Owl  :)

I can remove my inquiry now

Offline smylee grouch

Good luck Owl on your load development, have fun and by the way, welcome to the forum.  :)