Author Topic: Dale Johnson Lock Question  (Read 3684 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Dale Johnson Lock Question
« on: March 25, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »
The lock plate of the Chambers Dale Johnson lock has a beveled edge barely 1/16th of an inch wide.  It was suggested that I inlet the lock flush with the stock (or barely so).  Are there any opinions on this?  I'm inclined to file a wider bevel similar to that of a large Siler.  It's a beautifully built lock and I'm at the point of the build where I'm ready to inlet.
I'm interested to hear the opinions of others who have used this lock.

Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Dale Johnson Lock Question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
Inlet to the bevel just like you would with any other lock.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »
A also prefer the Dale Johnson for Lancasters and called Jim Chambers as to why there's not a larger cast chamfer and the one that's there  is kinda shallow and indefinite...he said if I want a chamfer, file one. 

So that's what I did and the pic shows a well defined chamfer.....which didn't take that long to file.....Fred

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:53:48 PM by flehto »

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
The bevel that exists hardly exists at all.  Inletting the lockplate to the bevel would be just about inletting the plate to about level with the stock.  I'll probably do what Fred did and file a wider bevel...

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 04:50:59 AM »
I love the lock.  I inletted mine until it fit the barrel properly, then cut the wood down to the bevel.  I did not notice that it was a problem.   If I had noticed it, I would peobably file a little larger bevel.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:44:16 PM »
I think you are over thinking things. However, it is YOUR project and should look the way YOU want it to look.

Dan

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
Hi,
Just so I understand what you are asking, did someone suggest inletting the lock so the top of the bevel is flush with the wood?  The bevel should stick up above the plane of the wood and the bottom edge is flush with the wood.  Also, lock plates often are inlet very deep.  On some British guns I've disassembled, the plate was inlet less than 1/16".

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
The Dale Johnson lockplate has a 1/32" so called bevel which really is indefinite and because of this could be inletted flush w/ the lock panel. Still don't know why such a small, indefinite  bevel was used. Built a few Lancasters w/ this lock and the lockplate shape is so easy to locate in the lock panel and the wrist....mainly because of the lower "tail" position.....Fred
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:48:37 PM by flehto »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 06:52:27 PM »
Fred, that is one lovely brunette with blonde highlights.  Somebody is no doubt in love with that beauty.  :-)  Well done good sir.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc 

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »
I just got one...Not sure when it was produced...But there really isn't a bevel to it.  Maybe the top edge is rounded..But no bevel that I seen.   Only got to play with it for a minute, but that was the first thing I checked out because I read this post. 

Not sure if I will leave it alone or put a bevel to it.

Thinking out loud, if you put a bevel on a plate, inlet to the edge of the bevel and leave 1/16 or 1/8" or whatever of the lock plate proud of the lock, the lock panel is that much thinner...

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
The lock plate is thick enough to file a bevel about the same width as exists on a large Siler.  Actually, that's what I did, inletted the plate and it sits proud of the stock.  And, to my personal preference, it looks like it should be that way...