Author Topic: Question on ash stocks  (Read 2492 times)

Offline utseabee

Question on ash stocks
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:45:30 PM »
How common were ash stocks on PA long rifles in the colonial to golden age period? Not sure I have personally seen any and I have a nice ash blank that I am going to do something with. Any suggestions?
Thanks
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
Re: Question on ash stocks
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:40:27 AM »
Ash makes for an interesting stock.  It is horrible to carve so I suggest not planning a project that includes carving for an ash stock.  Ash is appropriate for a Mountain or Tennessee rifle.
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 05:45:34 AM »
How common were ash stocks on PA long rifles in the colonial to golden age period? Not sure I have personally seen any and I have a nice ash blank that I am going to do something with. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Hen's teeth rare
Andover, Vermont

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
And with the Emerald Ash Borer, they'll get rarer. I love my curly ash NC rifle. I used to use it quite a bit as a cabinetmaker and furniturebuilder. The advice to NOT carve is spot on.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
You can carve it, just nothing to elaborate. I'd go with some sort of Appalachia rifle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline utseabee

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »
I actually prefer plane rifles/fowlers, I am leaning towards a schimmel or poor boy type rifle. I am not skilled enough yet at this hobby for carvings anyway. Maybe someday  my work will resemble something built by a gun maker instead of something put together by a plumber (which I am). ;)
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:20:03 AM »
You could call Jim Kibler and see if the stock would be the right size for one of his new mountain rifle kits.That rifle would look real good in curly ash.