Author Topic: Sgt. Alvin York Pall Mall Tn  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Squirrel pizza

Sgt. Alvin York Pall Mall Tn
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
surprise surprise! Guess what sports fans? It's raining in the valley of the three forks of the wolf River! Tomorrow it will probably snow then turn 75 and lovely! But I doubt it. But by jingles the shooting is grand! The comeradery is splendid and I wish you all were here! Thank God for folk like these.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:13:17 AM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline little joe

Re: Sgt. Alvin York Pall Mall Tn
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
Sounds like fun and I wish I was there you. What was your measurement?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
We had minus 14 over night and snow. Supposed to go to plus 6 deg sometime today, but they are forecasting freezing rain this morning. Winter doesn't want to let go this year.  Enjoy the shoot.  Wish it was closer  :(

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:31 AM »
  The weather was grand ,no rain a wee bit windy ,overcast .A great event 168 shooters .You missed a good shoot if you didn't get there.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 03:06:21 AM »
So...what rifle did you shoot, and how did you do ?

Offline okawbow

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 05:03:36 AM »
I shot the second round Saturday afternoon. The wind was constantly gusting and changing directions. More wind than I had ever shot chunk in before.
I learned a lot by the end of the day. I only wish I already knew what I learned before I shot! The fact that my practice group was 2" over from its normal place should have tipped me off.

I still managed to win some pork loin. They gave meat packages to the top 41. My string was 10.790" and just was good enough. Everyone else got hamburger and some got great prizes donated by various people. A bad day turned out lucky for several shooters with lead, powder, and even a new barrel given as prizes for finishing last, middle, 100th and so on.

It was a great day what ever one shot.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:11:28 AM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
Hi Bob, you should post the pictures you sent me of the camp out in -30*. I ended up not shooting, was gonna use the .54, but got called back to the house. Mom has Alzheimer's, seems like change in the normal daily pattern those her into a panic. So I missed my round. But I still got to visit with old friends and enjoy some fine chili. Maybe next year I'll burn some powder.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 03:00:20 PM »
As a native Tennessean, I'm ashamed to say in all these years I've never shot this match, but I'm no chunk shooter. I'll definitely be back next year and hopefully shorten my string. Many thanks to those involved in putting on this wonderful event. In the mean time, this evening with my "winnings", I plan on grilling up some burgers for my wife and I. I'm sure they will be extra delicious. ;)

Robin
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.