Author Topic: Turkey's with rifles  (Read 4514 times)

HAWKEN

Turkey's with rifles
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
Does your state allow for you to harvest turkey's with a rifle?  Unfortunately Indiana does not, it is  shotgun only 10ga or smaller, using lead shot #4, or smaller.  Keep yer powder dry.......robin :-[

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Turkey's with rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »
Yes. Georgia allows any muzzleloader as a legal turkey weapon.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:56:14 PM »
While I have taken the smoothbore out more than a couple of times, a rifle makes more sense for my purposes.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »
Wish TN allowed rifles!!! My just completed .32 fom a Kibler kit would be would be just the ticket!
Jerry Dickerson

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:06:12 AM »
Shotgun or archery only in PAs spring season. (muzzleloader shotguns are fine)

The fall season, rifles are allowed in some zones.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:26:13 AM »
I'd feel lucky to hit one with a shotgun these days! :P
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »
Did kinda chuckle abit after remembering all the can't see my sights anymore threads :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 01:52:12 AM »
Rimfire rifles or shotguns here in B.C.
I think a flintlock rifle is pretty much a rimfire and could be successfully argued so in court. 
That would be a court case to sit in on, complete with flow-chart diagrams and a flint rifle
(maybe using an A.Verner) for ignition demo in court- full pan, of course.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:56:18 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 03:28:21 AM »
Did kinda chuckle abit after remembering all the can't see my sights anymore threads :)

That's why I decided to put a peep on my turkey rifle.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 12:59:53 AM »
I'm here in Indiana with you Hawken.  I'd love to take my .32 flintlock out for a turkey hunt.

That said, I feel it's a lot safer proposition with shotguns only, seeing how camo'd up 99% of the turkey hunters are and how some knuckleheads run toward any hen or gobbler sounds heard.

Maybe Indiana's DNR got something right! ???

Best regards, Skychief

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
The hunter with a rifle must possess some sense and self control because a lot of other hunters certainly do not.
But the truth is turkey hunting with a rifle, especially a flintlock rifle isn't the easiest thing to do. They do decent sometimes in the woods until greenup then you can't see to shoot beyond smoothbore range anyway. The thicker it is, the harder it is to thread a roundball through the undergrowth with iron or peep sights. Basically you must hunt a place to hunt turkeys if you use a rifle.
I once had a large WMA of 38,000 acres very near my home that I knew parts of it very well. I'd been hunting it with a bow for about 20 years. There was this hard to get to section of a major powerline that was over 50 yards wide and ran for miles. The turkeys had wised up and starting about mid morning they would gather in their flocks out of range of shotguns right in the center of the powerline.
Sometimes I could see 5 or 6 flocks with gobblers strutting all out in the powerline at the same time, each in their own territory.
That WMA also had some large open hardwood bottoms just right for a rifle. So those 2 facts are the main reason I decided I needed a new rifle for turkey hunting. That and fact that I just wanted to build another rifle. I decided on a .40 because I thought it would be better if I ran up on any of the many hogs we have. I also decided to build another Isacc Haines because I already had one in .54 and the stock design just fits me so well, and I wanted them both to feel as identical as possible, you know the old saying, "Beware the man with one gun."
I got a piece of fancy maple, a Rice B weight 38" barrel, a LH large siler flintlock ordered from Jim Chambers, davis double set triggers and Iron furniture. Before I could complete the rifle and go turkey hunting the state lost the lease on the property.
Truth is, I would have been better served to have built a smoothbore. But lately I've been getting a yearning to build a choked turkey smoothbore and I'd have this rifle when needed to boot.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
California allows shotguns, and air guns only, no cartridge rifles, and no muzzleloading rifles.
 How hard can it be? The neighbor kid (he's eleven) killed two with one shot last year with a 410 full of #6's at about twenty yards.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
When I read the title of this thread, I thought OMG! Turkeys with rifles! as in Turkeys armed with rifles!  I'm in big trouble this Spring.  It's shotguns only here in Kentucky.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
Shotgun only here in Arkansas also. One reason I'm building a .62 smooth rifle ;).
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 04:02:43 AM »
WV allows rifles, or at least they did if they haven't changed it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
Does your state allow for you to harvest turkey's with a rifle?  Unfortunately Indiana does not, it is  shotgun only 10ga or smaller, using lead shot #4, or smaller.  Keep yer powder dry.......robin :-[

Spring no Fall yes.

Montana. Last time I checked anyway.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Levy

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 05:08:14 AM »
I think Florida allows just about any firearm, bow or crossbow for turkeys (gobblers) on private land.  Most of the WMA's only allow shotguns and shot no larger than #2's.  Joe Budd WMA between Quincy, FL and Tallahassee, FL is set up pretty much for archery and muzzleloading and allows muzzleloading rifles for turkeys and I believe that hens were legal game there too. James levy
James Levy