Author Topic: Hawken with Thingy in the side  (Read 2976 times)

Offline JCKelly

Hawken with Thingy in the side
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:32:04 AM »
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2013/141#detail
This 42" barreled Hawken just sold at RIA for about $980. What fascinates me (ju$t not enuff to bid on it) is that round thing in the buttstock, ringed about with eight tacks and with two thongs coming out of it.
What is it?
I might guess it a grease hole, hard to imagine that little plug staying in there for very much outdoor use.

high quality photo upload

upload to album

It fascinates me as I'd like to get up a more-or-less Indian style rifle. Anyone have experience with how such a "stopper" might actually work? One of the fairly recent books shows a Leman with tacks surrounding what looks like a larger "tack" in the center.

And thank you Kingsburry arms for this new photo feature, and you Dennis Glazener for explaining it in a manner that even I understood!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Hawken with Thingy in the side
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »
are you certain it's a plug and not just a larger tack.Could be just more decoration and had maybe feathers or such hanging from it?Close up it does look to be a plug or atleast different material than the surrounding tacks.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Does make one wonder. But the plains indians liked their decoration and "medicine". At this date we will never know what it really was.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline RAT

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:53:41 AM »
Looks to me like a concho.
Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
I'm with RAT.  Concho
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.