Author Topic: Old Gloves  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Gun_Nut_73

Old Gloves
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
First, I apologize if this is the wrong forum.  I had a post about underhammer percussion rifles deleted, as it was deemed not a sidelock, and therefore, inappropriate.  I doubt I am the first person to think of this, but I have not seen any mention of it in previous posts, so here goes:

When I work outdoors, splitting firewood, handling rocks, bricks, etc, I wear out a lot of gloves.  It is usually my main hand glove that wears out, with the offhand glove getting much less wear.  I use top quality deerskin gloves, and while looking at a pile of slightly used off hand gloves, I realized that the finger tips made ideal frizzen covers.  I also found that the sides of the fingers made excellent jaw pads.  One glove made enough frizzen covers and jaw pads to last a year.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: Old Gloves
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
I too discovered this use for old worn out leather gloves.  All of my flintlocks have leather fingertip frizzen covers, and I always carry a spare in my bag, cause I've lost  frizzen stalls in the brush while hunting on more than one occasion.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »
I hadn’t thought of the finger stalls but usually use the unworn backs for jaw pads
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

CARROLLCO

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:03:39 AM »
I also recycle my old leather gloves. I cut off the fingers and put a few balls of the various calibers of rifles that I have (.36, .45, .50, and .54). Use a bread twist to seal the top. I keep them in my shooting bag. This has saved the day more than once for me or a bud that ran out of balls or uses the one for bag multiple rifles and forgot to put the correct caliber balls in for the days hunt.

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 02:57:38 AM »
I also recycle my old leather gloves. I cut off the fingers and put a few balls of the various calibers of rifles that I have (.36, .45, .50, and .54). Use a bread twist to seal the top. I keep them in my shooting bag. This has saved the day more than once for me or a bud that ran out of balls or uses the one for bag multiple rifles and forgot to put the correct caliber balls in for the days hunt.

I have picked the stitching for the thumb section, restitched it closed, then opened the tip of the thumb to make a ball bag for my .31, .32, and .36 caliber rifles.