Author Topic: Treadle lathe  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Mike C

Treadle lathe
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:04:10 AM »
I built this about 25 years ago out of sugar maple. It has three spindle-to-flywheel ratios: 5-1; 7.5-1 and 10-1. It is capable of both face and spindle work. It is 47" between centers, 5" swing over the toolrest and 7" over the ways.
Total weight is about 200 lbs. The flywheel rides in bronze bushings concealed in wooden pillow blocks. The headstock shaft is turned from 1" square steel and is supported by tapered roller bearings concealed in the headstock.
Beats a treadmill and is a lot more fun.
Mike C

free upload no registration

upload pic to internet

upload album

upload images
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:38:25 AM by rich pierce »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Treadle lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »
Fantastic. Thanks for posting.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline KC

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »
That is an awesome piece of equipment. I've downloaded several different sets of plans for treadle lathes and spring pole lathes but none of them would look as nice as this one.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline davebozell

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:52:14 AM »
Now that's quite a lathe!  An heirloom for sure.  I built one 15 years ago that will probably end up as firewood some day.  It's functional, but not the beauty that this one is.

gunsmith507

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:13:10 AM »
do you have plans for this lathe?

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 01:53:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I remember 30 years ago when my floor was that clean!
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 03:13:08 AM »
Is the connecting rod from the treadle counterbalanced at the drive wheel?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mike C

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
Sorry for my slow response. Gunsmith 507, I have one set of plans that could be reproduced. I would ask $20 for it.
David R. The counterweight is on the axle on it's own eccentric and opposite the crank. I did not put it on the rim because it would put the wheel out of balance. It is not quite heavy enough to completely offset the weight of the treadle.
Mike C
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."  A. Lincoln

Offline KC

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
Mike, I sent a PM a couple days ago, I’d be interested in a copy of those plans. Let me know the best way to get them, you can shoot me a PM. Thanks.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 11:48:55 PM »
MikeC, that is an impressive piece of great workmanship!  What type wood did you use, and how are the ways holding up?  I also would like a set of plans, but just to hang on the wall.

Beautiful machinery is a blessing all on it's own.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Mike C

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 05:36:30 AM »
Thank you, Craig. It is almost entirely sugar maple. The treadle is yellow poplar to reduce weight. I will get some copies made tomorrow. Let me know your mailing address and I will get one in the mail this week.
Mike C