Author Topic: Adam Angstadt Rifle  (Read 2824 times)

Offline fundukj

Adam Angstadt Rifle
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:08:33 AM »
I attribute this rifle to Adam Angstadt, but I'm always interested in other opinions.  One crack with minor loss along the forestock. The converted lock is original to the rifle.  Also when converted, the barrel had a patent breech added; it is .45 caliber straight rifled and the barrel length is 38 inches.  Although unsigned, I attribute it to Adam based on the profile, the patchbox and engraving along with his typical forestock inlays.  Additionally, there is a thumbpiece, an inlay in front of the toe plate, a very nice cheekpiece star and a beveled side plate.  I believe that it is a fairly early gun with a butt nearly 1 3/4" wide.  John

Offline Mark Tyler

Re: Adam Angstadt Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
That is a good looking rifle John.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 01:13:53 AM »
John,

Too late to be Adam (1) he was dead in 1812. There has been some confusion with the rifles signed A Angstadt and AA. My guess is Abraham, you should look at the "Brown" Book, there's an article written by Col. John Angstadt that was written from research compiled by a Senior member of the KRA. Give me a call and I can fill you in on the rest.

Buck

Offline fundukj

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
I would also second that being a rifle by Abraham.  Looks @1800-1810 to me, technically I suppose it could be Adam but simply viewing it in the context of other pieces assumed to be Abraham I would put it into that camp.  One thing I can say for certain, it's a beautiful piece!  Also I absolutely love the condition.  What a great rifle!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!