Author Topic: Jacob Snider  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Jacob Snider
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:21 PM »
These photos can be added to the library under the existing thread for this maker.

image hosting api

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:22:53 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

dogbest

Re: Jacob Snider
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
Beautiful rifle.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
Very fine indeed!  Thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »
Jacob and Tobias were sons of Abraham Snider
Abraham Snider,1800–1835,
Birth MAR. 23, 1800 • Snake-spring Twp. Bedford Co. Pennsylvania
Death MAR. 11, 1835 • Hopewell, Bedford, Pennsylvania, USA
   Abraham was son of Jacob Snider
1755–1821, Birth 1755 • Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland, United States
Death 1821 • Snakessprings Twp. Bedford, PA

Here is Jacob the gunsmith

photo web hosting

This is his brother and gunsmith Tobias Snider

upload and share your photos

Jacob Snider, the older, was son of
John Snider
1727–1793
Birth 1727 • Amsterdam, Holland, Netherlands
Death 4 JUNE 1793 • Providence TWP, Bedford Co, Pennsylvania
John Snider's wife was Shussana Albright.  Possible gunsmith relationship?
    Looks like this family was part of the early settlers of Bedford PA.

This is Jacob's daughter Margaret Ann Snider
1847–1915
Birth JAN 1847 • Pennsylvania
Death 27 DEC 1915

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:23:56 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »
   Seems like very few of the family lived long lives.  5 of Tobias' children died by age 18.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture of Tobias Snider.  I have one of his rifles.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25859.0

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »
I see Tobias wife Susanna Steele died in 1877 and 5 years later he married her sister Louisa Steele, both daughters of George F. Steele
I wonder if his grandson was George "the animal" Steele for you wrestling fans LOL

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 11:50:33 PM »

Offline Howard

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
Is this the same rifle I saw being carried around the Baltimore show ? I looked over a identical rifle there that someone varnished just like this with the same crack in the toe area ?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Yes sir. It's the same rifle

Offline Howard

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 03:49:41 PM »
I'm glad that you got it.  It has a good home.

MartySnider

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 09:54:00 AM »
I stumbled on this page while searching for John Snider and Shussana Albright.
The gun is beautiful.
I keep finding family trees which show my William Snider b. 1750, died 1799 in Loudon County, VA. as a son of John Snider and Shussana Albright. I have tried to contact those trees which have contact information, but no luck so far. This is the most information I have been able to find on this family and it is on your page. I would love to know if you have any additional information about this family. There is another Snider family in Bedford. PA and Berkeley, (West) VA during this same time period and they claim some of the same family members, but not all. I had a couple of Kentucky long rifles and a black powder pistol, but I gave them to my son. Now I want another one.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pics of this beautiful rifle!
Always interesting to see some of the people who made them, too.
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 03:08:35 PM »
I stumbled on this page while searching for John Snider and Shussana Albright.
The gun is beautiful.
I keep finding family trees which show my William Snider b. 1750, died 1799 in Loudon County, VA. as a son of John Snider and Shussana Albright. I have tried to contact those trees which have contact information, but no luck so far. This is the most information I have been able to find on this family and it is on your page. I would love to know if you have any additional information about this family. There is another Snider family in Bedford. PA and Berkeley, (West) VA during this same time period and they claim some of the same family members, but not all. I had a couple of Kentucky long rifles and a black powder pistol, but I gave them to my son. Now I want another one.

I have no idea whether Nate McKenzie still owned his  Tobias Snider rifle when he passed away but Nate's guns are being auctioned off soon. Info posted earlier here on ALR.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson