Author Topic: Drill press debate 18th century  (Read 3384 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Drill press debate 18th century
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:36:03 AM »
The following is a photo of the inventory from John Twig's inventory upon his death in 1790. John Manton and other famous gun makers of the time were  apprentices of his. In his inventory is also listed lathes and emery paper. The item with the x in front of it is ----yes a drill press. You can bet that every great gun maker in England had the same or similar tools.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Drill press debate 18th century
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:10:50 AM »
I think the lead screw for the metal lathe was invented sometime around then.
Psalms 144

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:58 AM »
If any would have the very latest, it would be a high end English maker's factory. Extrapolating from that, a drill press at a high end English gun factory, to consider that John Bonewitz or Frederick Sell had one, would be a stretch.  I've read a number of gunshop inventories from wills and the Moravian archives at Christians Spring over the years and don't recall a drill press described.  Boring and rifling machines, yes.
Andover, Vermont

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
 A "drill press" might have been very simple by our standards, mostly a guided spindle with a chuck or taper to hold the tool. I see hand powered drill presses (egg beater type) for sale on eBay every once and a while, usually made by Millers Falls.
 I remember seeing a period design for a "drill press" for a blacksmith's shop; it was a long wooden lever, hinged to a post that pushed down a common brace, probably the smith pulling the lever while his striker cranked the brace.
 Too bad that they didn't have photographs in their inventory lists in those days!
Okieboy

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
I'm sure there where simaler less "modern" drilling devices before that.As long as man has been around he found better,easier ways of doing things.Maybe not a drill press in the true sense of the word or how we see one but drilling device of some sort.I'm always wondering why we think folks back in the day didn't think of new ways of doing chores,they where not stupid.To listen to some folks you would think we where eating bugs,beating each other over the head with sticks,in the dark until last week ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:10:49 PM by Joe S. »

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
I have an old post drill, that is designed in such a way that it can be bolted flat on a bench and used as a primitive lathe, or horizontal boring device. The crank on this drill is separate from the drive wheel, which makes me think it may have been designed in such a way that it could be driven by a belt, instead of a crank.

Hungry Horse

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »
This is said to be a 18th century French drill press. What is your assessment? It is for sale on the internet.  I see one thing suspicious looking. I think the bottom one is a fake or a copy.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:58:15 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:49 PM »
This is said to be a 18th century French drill press. What is your assessment? It is for sale on the internet.  I see one thing suspicious looking. I think the bottom one is a fake or a copy.

That bottom one sure looks like it has at least one welded joint.

Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

n stephenson

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:49 AM »
I picked up one just like it last week at Harbor Freight  but, the welds on mine show much less quality !!