Author Topic: Lid release...is it HC?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline flehto

Lid release...is it HC?
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:30 PM »
The  crude drawing shown below shows a lid release that starts at the Bplate return and isn't that much different from the conventional release except that it's 2 pcs ...the button and release rod are separate. I've found that this "setup" is simpler to make and the button is at 90 degrees to the top facet of the Bplate return.

I use the unthreaded length of a wood screw which has the slot of the head filed off and the simple 1/8" dia, rod has spherical radii on both ends. Hopefully the crude drawing is self explanatory.

Are there any original Mlers that have this arrangement?....Fred

imagebb
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:10:00 PM by flehto »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Lid release...is it HC?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:12:22 PM »
Whether there is historical precedence or not, your release is surely functional.  I would find it odd if this has not been used before now.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:09:20 AM »
Fred,

I would have two concerns.  First, the spring is also a latch.  But, latches should be hard and springs should be bendy (soft).  I suspect that the hook part of the spring will wear if you use the box a lot.  Second, the bottom end of the latch on the box lid will want to be shaped like a wedge so it pushes the spring over as you close the box.

Certainly there are lot's of examples of a box latch where the spring acts on a latch that pivots on a screw to achieve the same operation as your design.  On my last riflegun with a brass box I had a similar design but the push rod ended in a small cavity cut into the back surface of the butt into which the pivoting latch and spring were tucked.  The latch from the box penetrated the wood at the back edge of the butt to engage the moving latch.  It all was covered by the butt-plate.

There are lot's of ways to skin that cat!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:50 AM »
Given that my latch/springs are harder than the latch attached to my lid,   it is the latch on the lid that will wear, not the spring.   I am aware of at least two original systems that work that way.   

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:06:25 AM »
Long John and Mark....Your remarks  are welcome. The leading edge of catch on the lid would have a lead-in....the sketch is kinda crude.

I don't think Pboxes are opened and closed  all that much...in fact the Pbox on my squirrel LR is never used. Even if used a lot, I don't think the wear would be significant.

The release I use on my BC builds is very similar except the release rod  is under the toeplate and this  release is exactly taken from original BC LRs.

Just like to keep things simple and this type of release is quite simple as are some other types.  Thanks for your input.....Fred

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 06:03:13 AM »
Flehto: Will that push rod striking the latch spring at an angle cause any problems? I fixed one for a guy that drilled the hole for the push rod a little too big and the rod would slide off the spring. I put a small diameter brass tube in the hole to shore it up and it seemed to help but still was hard to operate.

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:59:34 AM »
The spring is 3/8" wide and haven't had any problems. The rod angles are exaggerated in the sketch....Fred