Author Topic: Jug choke turkey loads  (Read 12385 times)

Offline Mauser06

Re: Jug choke turkey loads
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
To each his own. A quick clean ethical kill is more important to me than authenticity of the bore.   In that case you could eliminate everything I put down the bore as they had none of it.

I enjoy hunting.  I enjoy hunting with flintlock guns. I'm not opposed to stepping out of period though. I just don't get hung up on that. I know some people do and that's great.  Even more of a challenge. 

I have never patterned a true smoothbore.  I don't know that it would do what mine is at 30 yards or not. 

Interesting point about the flash of the pan spooking game....I really never considered it..But turkey especially have great eye sight. And deer are known to have a very quick reaction time. They've been known to duck out of the way of arrows.  I've never thought about it with a Flintlock though.   There's definitely a bit of time from when the flint impacts the frizzen to when the projectile actually impacts it's target. 

I'm counting down the days.  Season will be here soon!!

Joe S

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »
My 10 gauge delivers very similar patterns with 1 5/8 oz of #6.  It is cylinder bore.

I once had a very nervous deer jump out of the way when the pan flashed.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
Ever pattern a cartridge 20 bore? It won't do better than that.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Joe S

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
Yes.

As far as I know, the ballistics of cartridge shotguns and muzzleloading shotguns are identical.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
Got to shoot today again....2f...#4 shot...#6s.  #6s with 4st on top....Wads, etc etc.

That's a 20yd target with somewhere around 110-115 hits in a circle somewhere around 10". I forget the exact diameter of the plate but I know it's close to 10" lol. 

That's the best patterns I've thrown this far...I'd love to see that at 30+ yards...But that will get me a 25yd turkey...Maybe 30.

I still think I can improve on that....

Looks like a tight modified pattern to me, Mike- about what my Hunkeler throws.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 02:37:39 AM »

Fired that at 20yds today. Nice round even pattern. I'd be super happy if that was 30 yards. But I can live with that for this season...That's the load I will be shooting​ this season.