Author Topic: Pistol build  (Read 2254 times)

Tater73

Pistol build
« on: March 30, 2017, 04:36:42 AM »
I am new here but have been looking through all of the great posts and tHanks to all of you I just completed my first rifle build from a Tip Curtis southern rifle parts kit.  I made a lot of mistakes but learned a lot.  I will post pictures when I get a chance. 

Now I have the bug and can't stop thinking about my next build.  I'd like to build a .50 cal pistol to match my rifle.  Is there any where that I can buy the parts to build it with steel furniture? I have been searching the net and all I can find is kits that have brass thimbles, trigger guards, nose caps. 

Thanks for all your help.

Anthony Tate

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Pistol build
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:36 AM »
Most early American pistols WERE built with brass furniture.  Not saying that they don't exist. But you'll not find much available in iron.
That said, if you lean to later styles, I.e. Hawken style, and later English pistols, there should be parts available.
I just finished a Hawken, percussion pistol with iron furniture. 
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 06:52:37 AM »
Check muzzleloader builder supplies. Between there and TOTW, I think you can find everything in steel.   I didn't make an exact parts list, but when I was looking, I believe I found everything I wanted for an iron mounted pistol.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
This one has silver furniture. Really good holding and shoots well.
It would be find in steel furniture.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:06 AM »
Your can make iron mounts easy enough.  I taught a 17 year old how to do it.  Just forge the bow and braze the grip rail on.  Everything else can be make from sheet.  You can make silver mounts exactly the same way.

n stephenson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
Like Mark said, Making what you need for a pistol shouldn't be a big deal. Good practice !!!

Tater73

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 07:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!