Author Topic: Double bit hatchet  (Read 3336 times)

gizamo

Double bit hatchet
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:20:32 AM »
Had a table at the the New England Colonial Fair last weekend. Once again, Brian Anderson was nearby. :)

I managed to pry this one away from him.  Anyone that knows Brian knows that it's a fun process....

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Double bit hatchet
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:43 AM »
Gizamo:  be aware of that back edge...hairy danger.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:58 PM »
As if carrying a razor sharp tomahawk wasn't dangerous enough already. Besides most primitve events won't allow a double bitted tomahawk in their throwing events.
 I'm sure there are historic examples, but they weren't at all common, or their survival rate must have been near zero.
 I guess I just don't get the " I want all my stuff to be as odd, and fringy, as I can get away with thinking".

Hungry Horse

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
I've got one of those, but I don't know why or where I got it.  They were made in India and Dixie GW sold them.  The first time I threw mine, the head split into two pieces.  The forge weld holding them together didn't hold.  I ended up welding the two halves back together with a welder.  Good pilgrim fodder for a blanket shoot prize.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:31:41 PM »
Gizamo, I like it.  My grandpa often walked around the farm with a double bitted axe over his shoulder when he was in his late 70's and early 80's. One edge was for felling and the other for splitting.  He said the double bitted axe was more accurate.  Anyway that double-bitted tomahawk reminded me of him, so, Thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 09:45:12 PM »
Gizamo, thanks for posting. That's a cool piece by an awesome artist and nice leatherwork underneath too. Apparently the usual #$@*-in-the-punch-bowl types have never heard of Brian Anderson, who is a fantastically talented and creative maker and a very nice guy as well.

He's got a knife he's always brought to shows with him that I'm scheming on getting him to sell someday...

RoaringBull

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:16:54 PM »
I think that is very freaking cool! Id have tried to get it away from him too!!

gizamo

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 11:55:47 PM »
Gizamo, thanks for posting. That's a cool piece by an awesome artist and nice leatherwork underneath too. Apparently the usual #$@*-in-the-punch-bowl types have never heard of Brian Anderson, who is a fantastically talented and creative maker and a very nice guy as well.

He's got a knife he's always brought to shows with him that I'm scheming on getting him to sell someday...

Eric,

I tried to buy two different knives from Brian. One was a personal knife he lost. His wife found it years later where he had been cutting hay bails open. It aged pretty well outside. Looked fantastic. He decided to keep it.  The other was a bit too much for my pocketbook. So the hatchet was my 3rd choice and I'm well pleased.

Roy Stroh rode down to the show with me. He's making a few knives these days. He's planning on making one to go with hatchet.  I'm actually making a new gas forrge for him right now.  Lol....

Offline EricEwing

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 12:09:52 AM »

Eric,

I tried to buy two different knives from Brian. One was a personal knife he lost. His wife found it years later where he had been cutting hay bails open. It aged pretty well outside. Looked fantastic. He decided to keep it.  The other was a bit too much for my pocketbook. So the hatchet was my 3rd choice and I'm well pleased.

Roy Stroh rode down to the show with me. He's making a few knives these days. He's planning on making one to go with hatchet.  I'm actually making a new gas forrge for him right now.  Lol....

Nice! I bet it's the same knife I always covet. I have a picture of it somewhere.
The last knife Roy made came out really nice. But he's supposed to be rebuilding me a fowler right now, don't let him near that forge till its done, haha

gizamo

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
Gotta be that brass cartouche knife.  Lol...!

Roys ''s Forge is  coming along. He's really going to be really, really sad if he can't have it soon. I already let him know he can't have it til your guns done.  Maybe I should let you hold onto the Forge  til then.  Bet you get your gunne is done by Dixons... ;D

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:33:17 PM by gizamo »

Offline EricEwing

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »
Gotta be that brass cartouche knife.  Lol...!

Roys ''s Forge is  coming along. He's really going to be really, really sad if he can't have it soon. I already let him know he can't have it til your guns done.  Maybe I should let you hold onto the Forge  til then.  Bet you get your gunne is done by Dixons... ;D

Actually the cartouche knives haven't quite gotten my interest yet, in general.  The knife he has on his table that I like is a very simple, small antler or bone handled little blade.  I actually have a small knife he made that has a goat bone handle, I use it as a patch knife and have gutted and quartered a couple deer with it.

Done by Dixon's???? I was thinking by May turkey season! Too ambitious....