Author Topic: Where was this nice iron work made?  (Read 4062 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Where was this nice iron work made?
« on: April 01, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »
If anybody has any ideas please  let me know.  The spring is a well thought out addition to this horn. I thought you all might like to see it.

photo and images hosting free
JIM

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: Where was this nice iron work made?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 12:28:07 AM »
That is a fascinating piece. One of a kind. Wish I had more pictures. Would love to be able to see it in person.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
Thanks skillman! here are a couple more pictures . They were taken some time ago very quickly and the quality is not the best. I've always enjoyed this horn and wondered about the time it took to figure this out. Jim

JIM

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:20:34 AM »
I have a priming horn (contemporary), with hand forged springs and spout cover.  Like that horn, very unique, and the most practical accoutrements I own. 
The work on both is amazing.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 05:02:17 AM »
I'm thinking that the spring and lever/cover were installed and then the butt was installed. I would think this would aid in the securing of the parts to the horn. Lots of ideas but Not really certain how it was done by the pictures. Thanks for sharing to the forum.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
The fact that this horn is pierced in several places to facilitate the mounting of the valve, spring, and attachment ring gives me the willies. A horn exploding would be bad enough, but this thing has a bunch of metal parts as well. The metal part on the plug is puzzling, and scary as it might seem could be a fire steel.
 This is the perfect horn for those who's tastes lean toward the weird. IMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »
I can't help wonder what the tail fin attached to the butt and top is for. It appears to screw to the butt and have a pin formed into it that fits into the edge of the horn. To my eyes it looks removable. But why? Why is it there? This horn is intriguing.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »
  Would like to see a better pic of the bottom where there appears to be a hole for something. The "Fin" looks almost like it could be pushed/twisted Facilitate filling or maybe the screw loosens and it turns. The one portion of "Fin" may be anchored in the one hole. I am sure that at one time it had a Bone/Antler/Horn, etc... tip
 I'm thinking European, Austria/Germany, maybe. Ken Netting used to make some similar.

Tim C.   

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Just went to take more pictures but something is wrong with the camera. I'll see what I can do about that.
The wood but cap is slotted and the metal piece slides into it. The head on the screw has been worked over so much I'm not sure I can get it out without causing more problems. There is a hole on the side by the metal piece. There is also a mark around it where something else was attached. Maybe a small metal piece?? There is a hole above that where the end of the metal piece ( striker ? ) slides into. I always thought it looked like a striker on the end but it would be a pain to remove for use and a bomb other wise. Thanks
JIM

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »

JIM

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
Thanks for the picture and description. Certainly a fascinating piece.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
This horn looks strangely like some of the contemporary work done by Sylvan Hart, also known as "Buckskin Bill". He lived on a remote stretch of the Salmon River, and was more hermit than mountain man. His work featured a lot of forged metal. Practicality, and period correctness, were not part of his esthetic, the odder, and more exotic the better, was his style.
 I have a book printed by Peterson Press that was written about Sylvan Hart. I use it as a guide post. When I build something I think is out of this world, I quickly dig out that book, and check to see if there is something similar in it. If I find something similar, I scrap the project.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
Very innovative for an obviously gifted maker.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »
 Looks like the extra hole was for a screw in ring that the strap would go through. Pretty small horn for a strap I would think. Unusual for sure.

Tim C.