Author Topic: Shooting Bag on the move.  (Read 2970 times)

BackWoods

Shooting Bag on the move.
« on: April 05, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »
My first started thread and sorry if the info I ask is elsewhere, I tried to search around.
I carry a range box when I go to the range with everything in it except the kitchen sink. While I was there it was pointed out to me at our range, I'm new there, we have a woods walk with targets set up on a path??, never heard of this before.
Can't carry the range box, I have never been without it shooting, but I have my shooting bag. So my question, what should go with me on this walk? What's the bare minimum I will need, what do you guys carry when doing something like this?
It seems like when at the range, I use everything in my box when shooting...  Help, I want to be a minimalist...I carry to much. :-\
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:47:04 PM by Joe L. »

gizamo

Re: Shooting Bag on the move.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
All your gun gear plus whatever the folks running the woods walk throw at you. I have had to even take the mainspring off at one event. If a HC event you might get extra points for spare lead and ball mold. Or get penalized for having plastic in your bag....etc.

Best talk with some folks that have done this particular woods walk before....and get their advice .
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:53:54 PM by gizamo »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
Powder, patch(ing) and ball, ear and eye protection. Maybe a touch hole pick, turnscrew, spare flint. The more you add the more you carry.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

BackWoods

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 10:49:20 PM »
All your gun gear plus whatever the folks running the woods walk throw at you. I have had to even take the mainspring off at one event. If a HC event you might get extra points for spare lead and ball mold. Or get penalized for having plastic in your bag....etc.

Best talk with some folks that have done this particular woods walk before....and get their advice .

Never been there when its been happening. I just thought it was something our club set up for the members. I only found out about it when a guy who was using the range the same time I was got to talking and he said he was going to do the woods walk. Asked what that was and he mentioned and path with targets. Just coming through our muddy period up here, well 2 weeks of foretasted rain in the future, gonna give it a try. Think it will help out with reenacting also, on what not to bring. Just a well stocked bag and horn. Thanks, Gents

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:49:15 PM »
Assuming you are using a flintlock rifle:
Powder in a horn or flask enough for all targets plus a few...
Round ball enough for course, plus a few...in a pocket in your pouch or a small separate ball bag, or loose in the bottom.
Vent pick
Patch material and sharp knife or lozenge tin with percuts soaked in your favourite lube.  If just material use spit - lots of it.
A few extra flints, and a knapping hammer/turn screw
Shooting glasses and ear protection in your haversack on the opposite shoulder.

That's enough for a days shooting.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

BackWoods

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:47 PM »
Assuming you are using a flintlock rifle:
Powder in a horn or flask enough for all targets plus a few...
Round ball enough for course, plus a few...in a pocket in your pouch or a small separate ball bag, or loose in the bottom.
Vent pick
Patch material and sharp knife or lozenge tin with percuts soaked in your favourite lube.  If just material use spit - lots of it.
A few extra flints, and a knapping hammer/turn screw
Shooting glasses and ear protection in your haversack on the opposite shoulder.

That's enough for a days shooting.

Thanks D, My flintlock is on order from TVM, I'm 3 months into the wait.  As for now shooting a 54 Lyman Trade to hold me over. I am seeing from responses you can go minimal.  To add on, hunting I can see, (where you not continuously shooting, but when you shooting a woods walk range, I guess you just use your ram rod if you need to swab after a few shots.  At the bench, and I know this is crazy, I have 2 seperate range rods set up to load/clean and clean. Again, all my experience is at the bench on the range, I need a change.