Author Topic: What was the average fouler bag in size an looks  (Read 4119 times)

Offline sonny

What was the average fouler bag in size an looks
« on: April 08, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »
I am interested in getting a nice fowler bag for hunting
Small game an turkeys with pockets an flaps to accommodate the different seasons. Can anybody show me a high quality bag you are using an swear by.... thanks sonny

gizamo

Re: What was the average fouler bag in size an looks
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
I like the Eastern Woodlands style bag... I've made a few of these and they hang close to the body, have game hangers you can attach, and have enough size for internal pockets.

URL=http://s96.photobucket.com/user/Gizamo1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-02-26%2007.48.12.jpg.html][/URL]

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
The bag that you show, has pockets on inside? wouldn't pockets under the top flap be easier to reach when your trying to reload to finish a flopping turkey????................sonny

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »
I don't think there was an "average" bag for a fowling piece especially in America. Bags can run from large Euro game bags to small belt pouches. Unless you want a shotgunning bag to hold all kinds of wads and cards in separation and room to carry harvested game, a small bag and a couple of pockets work great historically along with a separate game bag net. If you are not pinpointing a specific time, place, station in life from a historical standpoint then anything that suits you works IMO.

URL=http://s271.photobucket.com/user/fowling_gun/media/Gahagan%20Fowling%20Bag/20150717_085941_zpsi6mhlqmb.jpg.html][/URL]

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:10:04 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »
Beautiful bags Mr. Rogers!!!!
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
I am the proud owner of the last bag pictured in James' post.  I made a few of my own bags a while back, but after seeing this one, and then purchasing it from James, I don't see the point.  Exquisite work all around.  I haven't sold off my leather working tools, but if I ever get the urge to make another shot pouch, I will lay down promptly until the urge goes away.....and then I will get in touch with James.

Dave
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:41:29 AM »
Too kind guys. Dave I am still amazed that someone like you  who produces such beautiful and varied forms of art would even care to desire my work.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
Fantastic work James thanks for sharing.      Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
James came equipped with a boatload o' talent, that is for sure.  He seems to always push himself to generate better and more elaborate art.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
I made this one out of deer skin. It has small square pockets sewn to the back wall on the inside, just big enough for wads/cards. Keeps things organized. Tools and patches go in the main compartment. Its about 12"x8" I'd guess (I'm in Canada working or I'd measure it for you). Because of the pockets and width, its stays very thin and out of the way though. Made a simple shot snake with a spout plug that is also a measure. Been a great rabbit hunting rig.

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
The german style hunting bags with apron, game straps an strap rings, are all wonderful, but what was used or hung on those shoulder strap rings........powder horn? shot container? powder shot measure? What???.........was the shot always carried inside the bag in a horn or shot bag, or hung outside like our hunting bags with rifled barrels???........No knife sheath on bags??or axe on back of the pouch against the hunters hip???............sonny