Author Topic: Pear Stocked Mountain Rifle  (Read 5939 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Pear Stocked Mountain Rifle
« on: April 14, 2017, 07:11:44 PM »
Moderator's Note: This thread began as a For Sale ad.  The kit has been sold, but there is some discussion on working with and finishing pear wood.  So, with Jim's permission the thread has been edited and moved to Gun Building.  -Ron

Hello everyone.  I ran a stock out of pear wood the other day.  It came out beautiful except for a small bark inclusion on the cheek side near the toe, which I repaired by gluing in a patch.  The pear wood is quite nice.  It's extremely dense and has some pretty figure. 

Thanks,
Jim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:27:01 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Treebeard

Re: Pear Stocked Mountain Rifle Kit - sold
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:02:16 AM »
If a forum member has this finished it would be interesting to see how the pear wood came out. Pictures?. I have only worked with walnut and maple and find these other woods facinating.

Offline webradbury

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
What species of pear? I tried to work some Bradford pear one time and it did not work well. Went to pieces when I put the rasp to it. Just curious.
I love the smell of Walnut shavings in the morning!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:54:41 PM »
I have one in pear, I can assure you its not Bradford pear that's an ornamental tree and its so brittle that I doubt you can make coat racks out of the wood :)

I have not built mine, hope to get to it soon but the wood reminds me of Red Maple or maybe cherry.
I only tested a place on the butt.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maalsral

Re: Pear Stocked Mountain Rifle
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:50:48 PM »
Go to Jim Kibler's website and look at rifle #3 in his portfolio to see a pear wood finished rifle.
Mark Thomas

Treebeard

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »
Go to Jim Kibler's website and look at rifle #3 in his portfolio to see a pear wood finished rifle.

Thanks for the tip Maalsral. The wood on that rifle is very attractive but the quality of the workmanship more so.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:50:30 AM »
Hi Jim,
How does the pear wood compare with cherry with respect to density and working?  I ask because I have some wheellock projects working their way into my queue and on one I was going to use cherry that would likely be ebonized.  However, a lot of 16th and 17th century wheellocks were stocked in pear, particularly those in which the wood was almost completely covered or darkened. Is there any reason to prefer pear wood over cherry?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:29:37 AM »
Dave,
pear and sugar maple are very close in density when comparing weight per cubic foot with pear weighing 38 to 45 and sugar maple coming in at 39 to 50.  The little bit of pear wood I have used I have found it to work like a plain hard piece of maple.  It cuts very clean.
On speculation, I would think that pear wood would ebonize very nicely.  The European guns would of probably of been stocked in European or Swiss pear.
David 

Offline JBJ

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:32:47 AM »
The following site will give you all of the data you can hope for re pear and a multitude of other species:
http://www.wood-database.com/pear/

Hope this helps.
J.B.

Offline helwood

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 05:03:37 AM »
Greetings
Question anyone have sources for the Swiss Pear wood blanks.  I have a wheellock project that I would like to find a stock for.  The other thing that I would like to find pear wood for was sliding box lids.  John Bivins use to use  pear wood that he had ebonized for some of his box lids and would like to have some in my stores.  Also he said it was the desired wood for making wooden patterns for castings. "Sand Cast"  Thanks Hank

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
Gilmer Wood in Portland Or has European Pear. They have a good website.  Same place your burl Camphor came from.

Hemo

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
What's the technique for ebonizing?

Gregg

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
I'm not certain of the species this pear is.  I bought the tree already cut up.  As to density, it's comparable to the upper end of sugar maple.  It really is heavy stuff.  It cuts very well  though, and is more friendly to work than sugar maple.

It's significantly heavier and harder than any cherry or red maple your likely to encounter.  The grain has a smooth and silky texture.  Really nice cut and exceptional to carve.

Jim

Offline yulzari

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
Pear wood is one of the best for carving being dense, stable and with little grain to worry about. I have used it as a Boxwood alternative for wood engraving. I have also ebonised it with strong tea (as a source of tannin) and then iron sulphate. Pure black.

However. Like Boxwood it does need to be well seasoned. I buy an occasional tree shaped plank cut through the heart of the tree from a local woodyard of 5cm thickness cut it to fit my van and then keep it a further year in my workshop during which it will demonstrate any warping, cracks or checks. Then you will need to be creative to find a large enough stable area to fit a long rifle stock. Looks very plain when finished but oil or varnish brings out a lovely subtle grain.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline helwood

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »
Thanks much Ron, I should have known.       Later, Hank