Author Topic: Pipe Hawk Markings  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Pipe Hawk Markings
« on: May 10, 2017, 03:01:42 AM »
Attached are photos of two pipe hawks with various markings. The first two photos are of the same hawk. As you can see,  there is a sun, moon and stars.
  The third photo is of another hawk with marks that look to be a crown, V and what may be a broad arrow.  Sorry for the lack of image quality- these were taken with a basic cell phone.
  Has anyone seen similar marking on other hawks?  Any information, theories, etc. are appreciated.

how to up load
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:02:58 AM by Steve Collward »

Offline Arcturus

Re: Pipe Hawk Markings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
There are several in museums and collections with the sun, moon, and seven stars markings.  Above the sun is a standing bird (looks like a grouse or crow?) with the initials B and E on either side.  All the same basic English pattern with tulip bowl.  They are believed to have been given by the British to Indians around the Great Lakes area circa War of 1812 era or just before.  I think the famous one given to Tecumseh by Proctor may have these markings on the other side, too.  But one like this is in the McCord Museum in Montreal, one was found in the walls of a colonial-era house in Ontario, one was dug up by someone with a metal detector near St. Ignace on Michigan's U.P.  More have come up for auction recently and are in private collections.  I've always felt the bird and "B" "E" marking was some kind of makers mark, but have never been able to find out if anyone discovered who made these.  There was definitely an identical batch of them made to be traded or presented to Indian allies of the English throughout the Great Lakes area.  In 2012 on the Contemporary Makers blog there is a post of one of these heads that Jack Brooks rehafted for the owner based on the original in the McCord Museum.  I've always wanted to have someone talented make a contemporary copy of one of these for me.  Really basic but cool and classic pipehawk.

Any more pics?  Do you have measurements as far as length of head, blade width, etc?  Does the haft seem original?  The couple with original handles I've seen have a neatly carved mouthpiece with a reduced diameter at the end. 
Jerry

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
Arcturus: 
  Thank you for the information. I will pass this on to the owner and will ask if I can get better photos and include measurements.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
Regardless of what they represent, the markings certainly are cool on there!   :-)