Author Topic: MINI CARVING TUTORIAL PART FOUR  (Read 4803 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
MINI CARVING TUTORIAL PART FOUR
« on: April 17, 2017, 01:59:11 AM »
SORRY I FORGOT TO UPLOAD THE PICTURES.  I WILL TRY AGAIN

Offline Telgan

Re: MINI CARVING TUTORIAL PART FOUR
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:16:40 AM »
David - Can't tell you how much I enjoyed these photos. They really made my evening and I'm sure a few more - I'll be looking at them again. Tom

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:57:51 AM »
Wow!!!   

Thanx for taking g the time to do that!!!   

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:20:38 AM »
This is great, thanks for sharing.

Offline Bill Raby

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:03:53 PM »
David - as always, Great tutorial - Fantastic work and detailed pictures - Thank you for posting...

Jon

thimble rig

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »
Thanks for posting youre  photos.Its a pleasure to be able to see youre work in progress.God bless and keep up the good work.

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
You make it look easy!!! very good tutorial and BEAUTIFUL! pattern and work. Nicely Done!!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 09:12:56 PM »
David, thanks for posting this great tutorial for everyone to benefit from. I met you at the 2011 CLA show in Lex. I purchased the carving tutorial and the great book on your work that you were offering. I have gotten many hours of pleasure from both. Thanks again for sharing.      Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
BILL RABY
The cutting edge of that tool looks just about the same as the one that I use.  The only difference that I can see is the handle is very thin.  It wouldn't be very hard to put a handle on it, I had to put one on mine.  The little knife was originally the same size at the bigger one when John Bivins gave it to me.  Shows how many times I have sharpened it over the last twenty years.

Bob Hill,
I am pleased to hear that my book on carving was a help to you. I have had a lot  of e mails telling me the same thing.  I just realized that I didn't stress enough about sharpening the tools.  My book on sharpening is probably  the most important book that I wrote, it is available on my web site.

Kingsburyarms.
You created a monster by showing me how easy it is to post pictures.  I will probably get banned from this site for posting too much.

I am going to add two more pictures which are the finished carving on the tutorial.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:32:05 AM »
David,
Fantastic and beautiful work! Thank you for sharing it with us. On your knife that you said Mr. Bivins made for you, how long is it and would you suggest any dimensions if we wanted to make one for use? How thick is the knife as most of us have probably 1/16" or 1/8" O-1 or other tool steel in our supplies? It would be fun to try and make one of these as they look handier than anything sold today. Also do you have any suggestions for the handle size or shape from your first hand experience using your tool and others. Thanks for all your inspiration.
elkhorne

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 12:48:27 AM »
Elkhorn,
The carving tools that you are talking about were posted on the Mini Carving Part One.  I will post the pictures again so you won't have to go back to PART ONE.  All the dimensions are there.

John Bivins gave me the original  tool.  That was as big as the bigger tool in the picture.  I have sharpened it down to where it is now.  At some point  I wanted the bigger tool again.  I bought a hardened steel blank from Woodcraft and ground it to match the original tool.  As I remember the piece of steel that I bought was not in
 there  regular catalog so I had to ask for it.  I don't know if they have it now.  I use this knife more that any other carving tool that  I have.  The smaller tool is also a great tool.

I was having problems with my hands, and my doctor suggested that I put a larger handle on my carving tool.
I put a one inch diameter handle on it and it made a tremendous difference to my hands.

Read Bill Raby's post on Tutorial four.  He shows a picture of a knife that looks very close to what I use.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 05:59:10 AM »
Could those chisels be made out of M2 HSS metal lathe cut off blades like this one from Grizzly Tools.  http://www.grizzly.com/products/M2-HSS-Cut-Off-Blade-1-8-x-1-2-x-4-1-4-/G9841?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

With a bit of grinding to shaping, and adding a handle of your own choice???

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
dog catcher,
Go to either KBC's or MSC's websites and you can get any size of O-1 or W-1 tool steel your heart desires for this application. I have some that is 1/16 X 1/2 and some more that is 1/8 X 1/2 or 1 that I am considering to make one of David's knives. I think either would do and these pieces can be purchased in either 18 or 36 inch lengths. Good luck.
elkhorne

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:07 PM »
Thanks Elkhorne, I will get some.