Author Topic: A Uintah Mountain Peep Shoot.  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Herb

A Uintah Mountain Peep Shoot.
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:46:25 AM »
Jim held his 19th annual Peep Shoot today.  He started this when they took a break from building his cabin and shot at stale Easter marshmallow chicks or Peeps.  I think there were 10 shooters, and 17 targets.  I tied for third using my Kit Carson .54 copy, the only caplock there.  Terri loading.

One bank of marshmallow Peep targets with a pig to left.

Kyne priming.

Most of the gear is historically correct, a lot made by ourselves.

Jim taking aim.

Carney shoots a right hand flintlock left handed.

Lynn has a left handed .40 flintlock that Neill built.

Terri on the cross canyon shot, one of four.  She and Jean tied me., or I tied them.

Jean shooting one of the steel targets.  It was hard to hear a .36 or .40 ball hit, but the .54s left no doubt.

Jim came in second and Linda was high scorer with her little .40 flintlock, which I think Jim cut down.  He, Carney and Neill all worked at the old Green River Rifle Works.  Linda is a new shooter.

Some of the flintlocks.  My Carson Hawken is at left, next to Jim's flintlock Leman.

The 10 3/4 pound Carson Hawken is too heavy for me to hold, so I have to use a rib support.  I should have shot better, but then probably most of the others could say the same thing.  I hit three of the four cross-canyon shots, but then shot again for no score and hit the one I'd missed.

upload images
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:05:57 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A Uintah Mountain Peep Shoot.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
Looks like you guys had a nice day for the shoot. Good looking country your range is in. I have driven through there on the way to AZ a couple of times and enjoyed the trip. Might go that way next Feb if all works out. Thanks for the photo report Herb.

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
I always love your pics Herb. Thanks for taking the time to post
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
 Herb looks like a fun time with great friends. Thanks for sharing. Oldtravler

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
Kyne's rifle does not show well, you can see it better here.  It is a large bore and he shoots it very well

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:08:13 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:45:25 AM »
Thanks Herb - great pictures.  Like reading of other's shooting ventures.  Cool (or hot) trail.  How far, as in what distance were the cross canyon shots?
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Herb

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
I asked Jim and he said "more than 100 yards".  That seems about right.
Herb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »
I agree with Daryl...I really enjoy seeing other's shooting matches.  This one is obviously a hoot, and shows that just a few friends can have a memorable event.
It reminds me of the Thanksgiving shoot at Lillooette BC some years ago, where there was a match across a canyon and the closest target was a little over 100 yards.  The furthest was around 275!  That was a great challenge.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Matthew1969

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »
Neat to see! Thanks for posting.
Matthew

Offline Herb

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 05:58:55 PM »
I weighed my Carson Hawken and it is 10 pounds even.  The barrel is tapered 1 1/8 to 1 inch, 31 1/8" long ahead of the snail.  My Bridger copy is 31" and 1 1/8" straight, but otherwise nearly exactly the same, and weighs 10 3/4 pounds.  My GRRW barrel is 2" shorter than the original Bridger rifle, but it is what I had.
Herb

Offline heelerau

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 01:39:17 AM »
Herb, great  to see a few of you from Vernal, was Neil there?  Is this cabin far from the Fields place, as it looks like the Green River in the back ground.

Cheers

gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Herb

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 07:22:18 AM »
Yes, Neill is in the 7th picture, sitting on the edge of the cabin between Jean and Carney, where Terri is doing the cross-canyon shoot.  He was having rifle troubles so I didn't get a photo of him shooting, he was behind me.  The cabin is a quarter mile uphill (west) of Jim Goodman's cabin, which is on top of the mountain up Dry Fork Canyon a couple miles west of Neill's place.  The canyon shoot is to the south.
Herb

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »
Looks like one good 'ol time had by all Herb.