Author Topic: Barrel rib  (Read 8327 times)

Offline Mauser06

Re: Barrel rib
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
Cade cove,. A appreciate those pictures!!!  Very helpful!!

Ron, I appreciate your pics!!  I actually came across one of those pictures on Google of the rib. Love the molding of it!    It's attached by screws?   Like drilled/tapped machine screws into the barrel like a common TC is done??   

Taylor, I figured the rib will only be as wide as the bottom flat and the thickness will be wherever I want the ramrod to enter the stock...Figured if I find a 1/2" square piece around 2ft long I will have enough material to work with...If I order an exotic or something.  Some of the exotics are extremely hard and durable and could look great. Again, not necessarily 100% historically accurate..But a 36cal cherry half stock flintlock isnt either. I'd like to find a school to pattern it off of though just so the stock architecture isn't completely wrong.

I do have some good hard maple I could stain dark and I bet it's look good. Rub it back enough to show curl and wood grain but leave it all pretty dark.  The stock is cherry and not a cherry I can easily match. The way the plank is cut, I don't know that I wanna risk trimming it.

Very good thread!!   Lots of options and ideas.

I need to order the barrel and decide on furniture.  This build is probably a ways off...But I'd like to have it planned and parts ordered so when I am ready, I can get to it.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 04:40:34 PM »
 ;) ;)....I believe the wood on the rib of my TENNESSEE rifle is hickory....I've had experience with hickory(firewood & ax handles) and the grain is like this....hickory is a tough wood....probably stained dark originally, also darkened through the years.....actually the only antique Tennessee rifle I have ever seen with wood under-rib, although I have been told by others that they have seen same.....regards, DGB..... see you'ns in Knoxville tomorrow...!!!

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 05:11:17 PM »
Mauser,

I used Jerry's method to solder the top filler strip and the bottom filler strips with RR pipes and barrel lugs to the barrels of my double-gun.  (Jerry thanks for all your pointers!!!!!!!)  It was far easier than I had imagined and the barrels came out fine.  The aluminum rod in the RR pipes will not solder with tin/silver solder so there is not threat of them getting stuck permanently to the rib or pipes. I used a single MAPP gas torch from both the silver soldering of the barrels and the High-Force 44 soldering of the filler strips.

When Jerry offers advice, I listen AND take notes.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Ron, I appreciate your pics!!  I actually came across one of those pictures on Google of the rib. Love the molding of it!    It's attached by screws?   Like drilled/tapped machine screws into the barrel like a common TC is done??   

Mauser06,

Yes, the rib is attached to the barrel with screws.  Drilled and tapped for 6x40 screws IIRC.  One inch barrel in .54 caliber so I had plenty of wall thickness, but drilled the holes pretty shallow.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 12:33:56 AM »
M06:  you've got the right idea.  Good luck with your build, and enjoy the ride!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
Anxious to get started!   But I know it'll be a while before I get started.  Trying to find a house at the moment... Hopefully that happens soon and then I can get back to the projects. 
In the mean time, planning and collecting parts for this build, a pistol and a Beck inspired longrifle.

Realizing that you can't always just find the exact parts you need so planning ahead and snagging parts and ordering stuff as I can.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 01:33:42 PM »
Gentlemen, have followed this post and will have another go at soft soldering the under rib back onto my .72 Hollis. As a matter of interest, when I first took the rib off the rifle it was in fact filled with old dry linseed putty. Have any of you blokes ever run into that on any original rifles? 
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline alacran

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
I first saw a wood under rib on a small flintlock built by a man folks called "Pappy".  It had a flared and tapered barrel and the rib followed it perfectly. It was attached with pins and staple tennons I assume. 
I wanted to cut own weight on a .58 barrel I can interchange for my .54 Hawken barrel.  I weighed a 1 inch section of solid under rib, a 1 inch section of hollow under rib and a 1 inch section of hickory, shaped like  a steel under rib. When multiplied by the required length, plus the added weight of the thimbles this is what I came up with. Solid rib , 8 ounces hollow, rib 4 ounces, hickory rib 2ounces. So I used a hickory under rib on that barrel.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass