Author Topic: Parts for a Mountain Rifle  (Read 2184 times)

NFC Outdoors

Parts for a Mountain Rifle
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:22:21 AM »
I recently acquired a 1970s 50 caliber mountain rifle.  The rifle is missing one of the lock screws.  I recently made a purchase on a site for some new lock screws but what I got back was too small.  The person I talked to on the phone did not seem to be that friendly to discuss the issue to see if they grabbed lock screws from a different gun that would be a different size or to let me know if there is something else that might have taken place.  I did use a caliper on the screw that I still have and it is 1.569" long, screw diameter of .187", and a head of .289".  Would someone be able to tell me if this was the typical lock screw that was used or if there is something else going on?

Thanks

Tony

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Parts for a Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:40 AM »
You need a 10 x 32 filister head machine screw.  Normally, they are blank and you have to cut them shorter, and may need to turn the head down from 3/8" (.375") or less frequently, 5/16" (.3125")   unless yours is metric?.   
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Smoketown

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »

Many of the members here would be able to point you to a GOOD source for the correct parts if you were to provide the make and model of the rifle.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
As suggested, more info on rifle is needed.  In the '70s, mountain/Hawkens rifles were the thing to own.  If Italian made, likely metric threads.  When you said that the replacement screws you received were too small, what did you mean?  Length, dia of threaded portion or head size?
Bob

Offline EC121

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »
Take the lock to a hardware store and try various screws to find the size.  If the gun is European, it is probably metric.
Brice Stultz

NFC Outdoors

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »
FALout- The screws I got were too small in diameter/ thread size.  I will have to see what I can find out on the make and model of the rifle.  When I went to deercreekproducts.com, they only had one section for mountain rifle parts, and they told me that there was only one type of lock screw used.  Will be interested to see whatelse I can find out about the gun.  The last owner didn't have much information on it itself to go off of.

Offline JLBSparks

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:08:18 AM »
"unless yours is metric".
Try a m5 - .8 x 15. Shorten it if necessary.

-Joe