Author Topic: Need some help with research/resources  (Read 3547 times)

Jkseitz

Need some help with research/resources
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »
Hi all,
I am wanting to recreate an original long rifle that was from the revolutionary era, but have been having problems finding any good sources for photographs of one. It seems as though the Golden Age rifles are a dime a dozen in comparison to one from the 1770's. If anyone happens to have a good reference they could recommend, it would be very much appreciated. Specifically my preference would be to either a Lancaster County type, or a southern rifle, especially since they saw much more action in the southern campaigns.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Offline Gary Tucker

Re: Need some help with research/resources
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:36:18 PM »
I think the go to source for info on the early rifle would be without a doubt "Rifles of Colonial America" published by George Shumway.  Nearly all of the guns pictured are from the Rev period and some earlier.  You see it referred to on this site as RCA volumes 1 and 2.
Gary Tucker

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »
This a #124 in the RCA books. I have always thought it the best example of what Morgan's Riflemen may have carried during the Rev War. I believe it is attributed to the Valley of VA. I love the lines of this early rifle.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »
Hi Dennis,
Keep in mind, Morgan's men picked up rifles from Reading and Lancaster, PA as well.  In addition, there were other rifle company's such as Edward Hand's company from PA and Michael Cresap's from Maryland.  Hand's company in particular was every bit as engaged and important as Morgan's Corps during the early part of the Rev War.  I have been tasked to build another rifle that could have been carried by a member of Morgan's Corps early in the war.  There is a notion among some current re-enactors of Morgan's Corps that ole Dan had a rifle by Adam Haymaker from Winchester, VA.  I've not been able to track down any verification or documentation for that notion.   

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 01:32:42 AM »
My 4th GGF was Samuel King and was from Bedford County VA which was right off the great wagon road. I feel sure there were lots of PA rifles following that road from Lancaster County all the way down to Bedford County on into the Carolina's. Since there is no way to know where his  gun was made I just chose a VA made gun for a Virginian!
Dennis
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:05:03 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Jkseitz

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
You guys are great, thanks! You also answered another question I had without me even asking it G.T.. I was curious about the RCA books, but wasn't sure if they were actually focused on early examples or Golden Age. And Dennis, yes that is a beautiful rifle. My ancestry is German, and one of my great great (maybe another great) grandfathers was a Hessian who apparently helped  get rid of some Native Americans down here in  Florida, or so the story goes. I hadn't really looked into Morgan's Riflemen, but now that you have mentioned it, that would actually be an ideal study, since I assume that they have already been fairly well researched and documented. Smartdog, I will also look into Cresap and Hand as well. Thanks again guys, this is kind of a new direction for me, and your help surely goes a long way.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
RCA is without a doubt your best option. I'd contact Shumway publishing directly, though, as just about everyone else seems to have run out of Vol. 2

https://www.shumwaypublisher.com/shop/

Even if you can't get Vol 2, it would still be worth your time to get the first volume, which is still available as far as I can tell. May not stay that way for long....
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Jkseitz

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
So should I go for volume one or two first?

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
I'd get both if you can possibly do so. Vol 1 has the Lancaster, Reading, and Christian's Spring schools, among others, and Vol. 2 has the York, Unknowns, and Southern rifles in it.

If you have to pick one AND you can find Vol. 2, get it first and get vol.1  ASAP.

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »
Hi,
Just don't get locked in to the idea that a southern rifleman carried a southern-made gun.  Many southern mountain rifleman probably carried guns made in PA.  Lyman Draper in his 1881 book on "The Battle of King's Mountain" describes many of Col John Sevier's "over mountain" men carrying "Deckert" rifles.  The author probably meant rifles from Lancaster, PA where gunsmith Jacob Dickert was very well known.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
My advice is to buy both as soon as you can.  They were out of print when I bought my set for $150 and was happy to get it because most places were getting $300 for the pair.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline utseabee

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
Track of the wolf lists RCA volume 1 for $59.99
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline K. Moyer

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
Shumway publishing has both volumes (1 & 2) in stock $60.00 each. Mine arrived yesterday.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin

Jkseitz

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
Hey guys! I just wanted to post an update after all the effort you guys put into helping me. I had ordered Shumways vol. 1, and it has been truly enlightening. I have decided in reproducing Jacob Dickert's no. 50, and it fits my needs and desires perfectly. It was made during the decade of 1770, and Jacob Dickert was of course one of the more prominent gunmakers for the revolutionaries during the war for independence. I will be creating a new thread for a build log, and plan on posting the parts I am using as well as how I made the parts I had to fabricate myself there. Again a heart filled thank you to all of you, and I greatly look forward to recreating this wonderful piece of American history to carry on our history.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
Good luck on your build,look forward to seeing it unfold