Author Topic: Black wood filler for finishing walnut, what do you use?  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Black wood filler for finishing walnut, what do you use?
« on: April 22, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »
Got an email from Barbie Chambers. They are out of black woodfiller. Their supplier has stopped making it. Chambers has tried black woodfiller from a couple of other suppliers, but found nothing they would recommend used on gun Stocks. What you tried and would recommed?

Offline Firelock

Re: Black wood filler for finishing walnut, what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »
I'd recommend that you wet it to raise the grain then put a good coat of Permalyn sealer on it and wet sand it, rubbing the whisker dust and sealer into the pores...works very well.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »
Rolf,

I have just used the wood itself...  Take 600 or 800 grit sand paper (I use the black "Metal" paper with cloth backing), add your finish of choice (I used Minwax Antique Oil) and sand the wood to a "Slurry" and that "Dust" in your mixture will fill the grain holes quickly - a few times will make it silky smooth...

Offline kutter

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 02:41:49 AM »
I use photo copier toner powder.
You can buy small quantity replacement toner on line or from many office supply type stores. Comes in many colors but basic black is the old standby.
Fine as talcum powder,,maybe more so. I keep a small amt in a pill bottle so I don't risk dumping the larger container over.
Simply shake a bit right onto the wet finish as I'm applying it and rub it into the surface. It gets right into the grain and stays there as the finish drys.
I sometimes add a bit as I put a few last coats of very thin rubbed out oil on the wood. A very small amt goes a long way!
Looks good as it highlights the wood carvings too. I use it on restorations of cartridge guns too in the checkering when brushing in a coat of oil. It puts that slightly darkened aged look back into the newly recut checkering lines on a restoration.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:45:33 PM »
I use concrete tint powder, mixed in with a good sealer.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:38 AM »
I have no experience with this but it probably will work well. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/black-grain-filler-anyone.271216/

I have used a white wood filler mixed with a black stain (not sure what kind it was) and it worked fine.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ltdann

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:03:00 AM »
What's the purpose of "black" as a filler.  I guess I'm missing the point...wouldn't a sanding sealer fill the pores?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
The black filler fills the grain and, in my opinion, greatly enhances the beauty of the walnut grain.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

ltdann

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »
The black filler fills the grain and, in my opinion, greatly enhances the beauty of the walnut grain.
Dennis

Thanks, I learned something new.

Offline deepcreekdale

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
I have never done this myself but I had a friend that used a rattle can of black primer and sprayed the stock with several light coats until the pores didn't show.  When he sanded it back down to the wood, it looked great. Filled the pores perfectly and he then finished as usual. Not sure it is the way ol' Jake Dickert would have done it but it worked.
”Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »
 Years ago I bought a great plains flintlock for my grandson's birthday.  When it came it was pretty ugly so We decided to pretty it up. It was a nice piece of walnut wood but a lousy finish.  We sanded off all the original finish which wasn't much.  I sprayed it with a light coat of Krylon black. Then I sanded the dust into the grain with true oil and let it dry. When the grain was filled. It was time to quit for the day.
  The Kid never said anything but by the look on his face he suspected the gun was a disaster. I don't think he slept well that night. The next two day I did my usual finish and when it was done he loved it so much that he took it to bed with him and slept with it for the next three days.  That black really set off the grain in that walnut.  I heard about this from one of the members of the American custom gun makers guild.  It works great. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Joe S

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
Has anyone ever tried carbon mixed with the first finish coat?  It seems like this could work very well, and might save a sanding step.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:19:30 PM by Jose Gordo »

Offline draken

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
Would rottenstone (the black stuff)work? That stuff is almost like dust and is definitely black.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Joe S

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
I don't know.  I would use carbon black or bone black.  They are both pure black and will never be any other color.  I’m actually curious enough about this that I think I’ll give it a try and see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:20:19 PM by Jose Gordo »

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »
Not hard. paint the stock with thick black paint. A bowel of rustoleum that's been sitting around for a day.  The stock has already been finished so you're using only enough abrasive to get rid of the paint   yet leaving the pores filled.  Gorgeous. Seal and varnish. I never could understand this dust and filler stuff.