Author Topic: A rusting issue  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
A rusting issue
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
I have used the barrel browning solution from RE Davis before with great effect.  I recently used it on a barrel and the barrel with not stop rusting.  I washed it with detergent, and with water and baking soda.  Still rusting.  I have contacted RE Davis and I am sure I will get a reply, I just wanted to check on here and see if any of you have run into this and what I might can do?

I did not card the barrel.  Is that what I am missing?

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: A rusting issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »
Carding is how you control the rusting.   Otherwise you get runaway pitting.   I have never not scrubbed a barrel back with steel wool or ScotchBrite pads.   I can't say if that is your problem or not.    In my experience, it is normal for a barrel to keep rusting for a while.   I would just keep rubbing it down daily  with WD40 until it mostly stops and then apply wax.   You could also try rubbing it down with ammonia to make sure you kill the acid.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »
Thanks Mark.

Cory

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 04:54:11 AM »
It has been a while since I used the Davis browning solution,but I believe it's a brine solution unless the formula was changed. Lots of soap and water then oil would be my guess.

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »
Depending on the amount of rust, I use degreased 0000 steel wool or green Scotchbrite for carding  if too thick. Normally use only denim.  Using household ammonia works much better than baking soda seeing LMF is a strong solution.  The ammonia is painted on the bbl for a few minutes and the smaller parts are submerged in ammonia.....Fred

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »
This barrel rusted for 3 weeks, even after two ammonia baths, several baking soda baths, a Dawn detergent scrub and a hot motor oil bath. It had about 5 applications of LMF to start with.

The guys in the know here said it would stop on it's own when the acid was depleted, and it did. It came out with a better finish than any rust brown barrel I had done in the past.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:36:21 PM »
 It;s just doing what it is supposed to do.  Card it off like you are supposed to.  Then oil it and wax it.  It will stop some day when it is supposed to.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:37:51 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:23:11 AM »
Glad it turned out.

Just thought I would mention that soap contains both salt and a wee bit of hydrochloric acid (muriatic).

Ya wanna rust a piece of steel, wash it with soap & water, don't rinse so well, leave it damp.

It is just how soap is made.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
I   hate dealing with after rusting. I want to get the gun out the door perfect on my terms. Rinse the barrel and apply a saturated solution of  sodium hydroxide.  Where gloves.  No acid remaims.  I never card.  Go ahead and polish. Stay off the corners.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
 Bill.
    When you say you never card. Can you explain some on that statement?  What do you do? I have the greatest respect for your work.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.